[Sursound] Sound Based Composition (surround)
霖の
2017-08-16 09:46:01 UTC
Dear all:
Have u ever thought about using psychoacoustics and cognition psychology principles to compose electronic music especially on sound based music ? For instance, when making surround sound, we need to consider how people listen the sound in space. I'm thinking this might be a potential phd proposal topic.

Looking forward your reply,
Thanks,
Yilin

发自我的iPad
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I do all the time. I think there's quite a few papers on the subject as
well.
Post by 霖の
Have u ever thought about using psychoacoustics and cognition psychology
principles to compose electronic music especially on sound based music ?
For instance, when making surround sound, we need to consider how people
listen the sound in space. I'm thinking this might be a potential phd
proposal topic.
Looking forward your reply,
Thanks,
Yilin
发自我的iPad
edit account or options, view archives and so on.
--
Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Yes, I think many people think about this (as a quick bit of Googling will reveal).
As a PhD topic - well, it's a subject area, but not really focussed enough to be a topic (and hence, not developed enough to form the basis of a proposal)
One way forward would be to find psychoacousticians, auditory scientists and cognitive scientists who are also musicians; there are plenty. Names that spring to mind might be Stephen McAdams, Daniel Levitin, Albert Bregman, Ron Shepherd, Diana Deutsch.... and many more. Then take a look for journals that look at cognitive science and music - gradually, you'll start to see names cropping up repeatedly. Track down their publications pages, and dive in.
In respect of spatial listening, again, many people have studied this - and of course, spatial listening for music might be quite different from listening to real environments (the former are rarely as potentially hazardous as the latter!). So, AES journals, JASA, ICAD would be good places to start. Look also for those 'out there' electroacoustic composers who are interested in psychoacoustics, philosophy of perception, neuroscience.

All of the above could form the basis of the first 50% of the PhD, but actually are prerequisites for formulating a decent proposal.

p.s. - I wasn't sure what "sound based music" might be?

Dr. Peter Lennox SFHEA
Senior Lecturer in Perception
College of Arts, Humanities and Education
School of Arts

e: ***@derby.ac.uk
t: 01332 593155

https://derby.academia.edu/peterlennox