[Sursound] Surround & Binaural Mic Shoot-out thing
John Leonard
2015-06-25 11:59:16 UTC
Well, this could become a thing if enough people are interested: I’ve been researching locations and so far, the leading paid-for contender is the Menuhin Hall at Cobham, in Surrey. Reasonably easy to get to, on-site parking, nice acoustics and an offer of a deal from the manager. I did ask Air Lyndhurst (£3,200 for a ten hour day) and Henry Wood Hall (£1,800 for the same) so both well out the running, but The Menuhin Hall looks affordable, probably less than £1,000 with the use of their piano, less than £600 without and I’ll put up some of the cost if I can find a few other institutions do chip in. I’ll approach the Association of Sound Designers, who will be providing the Neumann Head and the Sennheiser simulated surround thing (I can never remember what it’s called) and the IPS to see if their members are up for it and if they might like to put a few quid into the pot.

I’m looking at late July, early August at the moment and what would help at this stage, is a better idea of who might like to come, so probably best if it happens off-list for the time being, to avoid clutter.

Drop me a note and I’ll take it from there.

Thanks,

John

Please note new email address & direct line phone number
email: ***@johnleonard.uk
phone +44 (0)20 3286 5942
umashankar manthravadi
2015-06-25 13:41:27 UTC
I have just completed some Brahma microphones using 25 mm capsules and low noise fets. I am hoping to do calibration measurements next week. I wish I could send one microphone - it can be used with the electronics that go with the 14 mm Brahma.Or send the whole kit and caboodle, if I can afford it. would be nice to try it out with the others. Nicer still if one could do some very quiet nature recordings.

umashankar
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:59:16 +0100
Subject: [Sursound] Surround & Binaural Mic Shoot-out thing
[...]
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hey John!

I would definitely be interested in joining. Count me in.

Anthony
John Leonard
2017-06-06 14:38:09 UTC
Anthony,

I’ve been trying out my Hooke Verse system and have some observations: I hope you’ll find the feedback useful.

1) I get the level setting on the app, although some people I’ve spoken to find it counter-intuitive as they’re used to pushing faders up for to make things louder and down to make things quieter. Also I found it quite tricky to make smooth level changes, although I guess that’s not something you might expect the average user to want to do.

2) For me as a spectacle wearer, the device is awkward to keep secure on the ear.Added to this, even with trying different foams, the left earpiece will not stay in place unless I remain absolutely motionless. I suspect that this is more to do with my ears, but I also find that the neck cord drags against my skin and this also helps to dislodge the earpiece.

3) Connecting the system via the supplied cable to my Zoom H2n results in very bad noise/interference, rendering any recordings unusable. Plugging in to the mic input of my Mac laptop produces a different noise, more of a hum, but also means that I can’t use it for recording.

4) The system seems to work best via the Bluetooth link with a reasonably high level of sound, but it’s not really suitable for low level ambience as the noise floor is a bit too high.

I do congratulate you on finally getting the product to market, especially given all the problems you faced in the process, but I’m afraid there is too much that doesn’t work for me for it to be of much use. I’m sure others will have a different experience and I wish you all the best for the future.

Regards,

phone +44 (0)20 3286 5942
John Leonard

phone +44 (0)20 3286 5942
Rev Tony Newnham
2017-06-06 17:43:09 UTC
Hi

Maybe the designer is ex-BBC. Many older BBC broadcast mixer had
reversed faders, on the principle that if you accidentally nudged a
fader it was better to reduce level slightly rather than put an unwanted
signal on air. It was rather confusing once when I had an OB unit/mixer
plus a conventional mixer for a live broadcast! First time I'd had to
use a reverse fader desk.

Every Blessing

Tony
John Leonard
2015-06-29 16:56:09 UTC
Folks,

I’ll be at the Sounds In Space do tomorrow in Derby if anyone wants to chat about the proposed shoot out. (Old bloke, white hair, white beard, jeans, polo shirt with my name on it).

If you’ve replied to me off-list and I haven’t got back to you yet, it’ll be because the lovely Virgin Media people have screwed up my broadband yet again and I’m just sorting out the backlog of email.

phone +44 (0)20 3286 5942
Dave Malham
2015-06-29 20:25:26 UTC
See you tomorrow - old guy with grey beard and not that much other hair :-)

Dave
Post by John Leonard
Folks,
I’ll be at the Sounds In Space do tomorrow in Derby if anyone wants to
chat about the proposed shoot out. (Old bloke, white hair, white beard,
jeans, polo shirt with my name on it).
If you’ve replied to me off-list and I haven’t got back to you yet, it’ll
be because the lovely Virgin Media people have screwed up my broadband yet
again and I’m just sorting out the backlog of email.
Regards,
John
Please note new email address & direct line phone number
phone +44 (0)20 3286 5942
edit account or options, view archives and so on.
--
As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'