[Sursound] Simple Software to Play a 6-channel WAV File
len moskowitz
2017-10-25 18:43:23 UTC
I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend a very simple Windows
audio player that can play a 6-channel WAV file to a 6-speaker ring.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Ideally, we're looking for a very simple
player.

I've tried Audacity, and while it records multi-tracks, it only plays
stereo.

I can't get VLC v2.2.5.1 to play to six speakers. It looks like it will
play Dolby 5.1 files, but I can't configure it for a 6-speaker ring
playing a 6-channel WAV.

I''ve also tried Sound Devices' Wave Agent, but it, too, can only play
to 2 speakers. It looks like it's a useful tool for splitting
multi-channel WAVs into individual files, and combining single channel
WAV files into multi-WAV files.

I'll try Plogue Bidule next .  It's a bit more complicated that we'd
like, but if it works, maybe we can work around the complexity.

Other recommendations welcomed!

Len Moskowitz (***@core-sound.com)
Core Sound LLC
www.core-sound.com
Home of TetraMic and OctoMic
Eero Aro
2017-10-25 18:51:20 UTC
len moskowitz wrote:> I'll try Plogue Bidule next

AudioMulch is another modular synth similar to Bidule,
and has same kind of players.

Eero
Eero Aro
2017-10-25 18:56:17 UTC
http://www.memsolution.com/

https://www.brightsign.biz/index.php

https://alcorn.com/product-category/audio/

Egreat used to have simple players, dunno if they still have:
http://en.egreatworld.com/index.html

Eero
Fons Adriaensen
2017-10-25 18:58:59 UTC
Post by len moskowitz
I'll try Plogue Bidule next .  It's a bit more complicated that we'd
like, but if it works, maybe we can work around the complexity.
It's probably the best solution, and quite easy to use.
My collegues at work use it all the time to play and/or
record multichannel files.

Ciao,
--
FA

Aaron Heller
2017-10-25 19:20:10 UTC
Oliver Larkin
2017-10-25 19:27:50 UTC
Oliver Larkin
2017-10-25 19:32:14 UTC
of course if VLC 3 does allow speaker decodes, that would be the best solution
Post by Oliver Larkin
Rapture3D player is simple enough but there should be a free player for this
I have a basic “AudioFilePlayer” plugin which is a hack of the JUCE Demo. Does the trick, will tidy it up and make it public. Would be nice to to have a limited patcher for remapping outputs.
Oli
Post by Aaron Heller
I use it extensively as well. Easy to control from a midi control surface
if you need physical controls. Glad to help with any questions.
Aaron
Post by Fons Adriaensen
I'll try Plogue Bidule next . It's a bit more complicated that we'd
like, but if it works, maybe we can work around the complexity.
It's probably the best solution, and quite easy to use.
My collegues at work use it all the time to play and/or
record multichannel files.
Ciao,
--
FA
Good one Oi! If you're doing the patcher, add mute and solo buttons for
system tests. Oh, and meters and test oscillators and...damn, I feel a
attack of creeping featuritise coming on :-(

Dave
Post by Fons Adriaensen
I'll try Plogue Bidule next . It's a bit more complicated that we'd
like, but if it works, maybe we can work around the complexity.
It's probably the best solution, and quite easy to use.
My collegues at work use it all the time to play and/or
record multichannel files.
Ciao,
--
FA
edit account or options, view archives and so on.
edit account or options, view archives and so on.
--
As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I've used Bidule a lot for demos in the past. Works well and is pretty
reliable, plus its available on OSX as well as Windows - could wish it was
on Linux as well but, hey... . Once you have a working patch it can be
wrapped up as a 'group' which makes your nice working patch a little bit
more secure against tinkering.

Dave
Post by Fons Adriaensen
[...]

So far, the best solution is Wavosaur (https://www.wavosaur.com). The
price is right: free, but donations are appreciated. I sent them 20
Euro.

It's a very light DAW program - just a single executable file - and
doesn't need to be installed.

I copied it onto the Windows 10 PC, ran it, opened the 6-channel WAV
file, set the audio card to ASIO (MME didn't work right), easily routed
the 6 channels to the correct speakers for the hexagon speaker ring, and
hit the space bar to play the file.

It was that simple.

It has one other nice feature that's useful for troubleshooting: you can
mute any of the channels while it's playing by typing the number of the
channel. Typing it again enables the channel again.

I'd like to have found an even simpler program, but this is likely as
simple as it will get.

Richard Dobson
2017-10-26 09:26:52 UTC
Perhaps the "simplest" possible player is a command line one? My
"paplay" program plays (and loops) multichannel files to a nominated
device, and while it does not have interactive facilities it offers full
channel mapping and selecting. Plus elementary B-Format decoding.

Part of the old mctoolkit, now resident here:

http://www.rwdobson.com/mctools.html

and also included in of the even older CDP system :-).

I am toying with doing a GUI counterpart, but not for a little while yet.

Richard Dobson
David Stalling
2017-10-26 10:47:37 UTC
Post by len moskowitz
I can't get VLC v2.2.5.1 to play to six speakers. It looks like it will
play Dolby 5.1 files, but I can't configure it for a 6-speaker ring playing
a 6-channel WAV.
Hi Len, I've recently set up VLC Player on Linux to play a 6-channel WAV
file. I used an external USB audio interface and connected VLC to it via
Jack. This was pretty straightforward and I can't see why it shouldn't work
on Windows. Install Jack for Windows (http://jackaudio.org/downloads/),
configure it to output to your audio interface and start the server. Then
configure VLC to use Jack as audio out (Audio/Audio Device/Jack). For me
this mapped the WAV channels sequentially to the six outputs (NB you might
need to switch off the "Force detection of Dolby Surround" in VLC Audio
Preferences).

David