[Sursound] DIY 4d soundsystem
Matthew Palmer
2017-05-17 04:50:18 UTC
hi group,

i am looking for any advice or suggestions about low-cost materials i could
use to build the columns of this 4d sound system <
http://demonicsweaters.com/2015/03/the-amazing-4d-sound-
system-is-a-nicola-tesla-inspired-fully-immersive-audio-experience/ >

i have bought 48 logitech z506's (https://www.logitech.com/en-
us/product/surround-sound-speaker-z506)and am working to construct a way to
mount the 5 speakers around the sub (any suggestions here are also
appreciated) & build 16 3-speaker high columns that can fit in the back of
a pick-up truck.

the design objective is minimal cost, safe, modular, optimized for ease-of
setup & travel.
*my recent proposal to a friend of a speaker stand to start & a custom PVC
structure to finish was deemed unsafe.

thanks for any help.
- matt
***@vcu.edu
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
An interface suggestion might be a Motu 24ao with 3 Behringer ADA8200 adats
- that will give you 48 outs for around £1000. Somebody mentioned some
daisy-chainable firewire device recently which might wook out cheaper - but
I forget the make/model.....
Post by Matthew Palmer
[...]
edit account or options, view archives and so on.
--
Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Awesome project! Another audio interface suggestion: a TCP/IP network of
Raspberry Pis (or similar computers) with 5.1 USB modules (so one Pi
per 5.1 surround system). The Pis would be interfaced with netJACK2
with the Opus codec. Not tested...
--
Marc

Post by Matthew Palmer
[...]
Another reasonably priced possibility is to set up an Ethernet AVB network. For 48 speakers one could use 6 x N-DAC8s ($299 each) from miniDSP together with two MOTU AVB switches. miniDSP have also recently come out with a PoE Ethernet AVB capable speaker. This allows for incremental expansion of the immersive sound system.

--
Professor Richard Foss
Computer Science Department

Tel: +27 46 603 8294
Cell: +27 83 288 9354
Post by Matthew Palmer
[...]
wait, hold up... thank you! but ----

due mostly to financial circumstances & a lack of experience with anything
other than ⅛" or ¼" cables,
i am buying & daisy-chaining 6 presonus firestudio interfaces <
https://www.presonus.com/products/firestudio> (you can find for ~$150
usually) which will give me 48 ¼" input & output - i got the logitech z506
@ ~$45/each, the total is a little under $3,000, excluding cables & a rack
I'm still on the hunt for (for the interfaces) which made the endeavor seem
approachable so I've been saving up for the last few years.

my question to the group is about the process of building a version of the
'4d sound system' approach, specifically suggestion, advice, designs
regarding the 16 columns i need to build. i'd like to create a version i
can break down & fit in a pick-up truck. i was thinking something like
speaker stands & custom PVC architecture & mounts but i know there are way
smarter people than me on this listserv who might be able to help me save
money & build a safer, better rig.

I am awaiting the dimensions of the proto-rig but let's say bottom speaker
is 12" of the ground, mid = "54", top = 96"...
(reference:
http://demonicsweaters.com/2015/03/the-amazing-4d-sound-system-is-a-nicola-tesla-inspired-fully-immersive-audio-experience/
)

thanks again. - matt /
Post by Augustine Leudar
- that will give you 48 outs for around £1000. Somebody mentioned some
daisy-chainable firewire device recently which might wook out cheaper -
but
Post by Augustine Leudar
I forget the make/model.....
Post by Augustine Leudar
Post by Matthew Palmer
structure to finish was deemed unsafe.
thanks for any help.
- matt
edit account or options, view archives and so on.
--
Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
Ha its you ! I think you were the person who told me about the daisy -
chained firewire devices. Re putting the thing up - being the least DIYish
person in history I would not know other than to say have four on each
column, or even three, one at the top, one/two in the middle and one at the
bottom. As for how to mount them physically in a way that would satisfy a
risk assessment - I suspect this might be the wrong mailing list (no
offence fellas) best of luck and keep me in the loop - glad its progressing
- and dont call it 4D haha (marketing nonsense)
Post by Richard Foss
together with two MOTU AVB switches. miniDSP have also recently come out
with a PoE Ethernet AVB capable speaker. This allows for incremental
expansion of the immersive sound system.
--
Professor Richard Foss
Computer Science Department
Rhodes University
Grahamstown 6140
South Africa
Tel: +27 46 603 8294
Cell: +27 83 288 9354
On 17 May 2017, at 1:41 PM, Augustine Leudar <
Post by Matthew Palmer
mount the 5 speakers around the sub (any suggestions here are also
appreciated) & build 16 3-speaker high columns that can fit in the
back
Post by Richard Foss
of
Post by Matthew Palmer
structure to finish was deemed unsafe.
thanks for any help.
- matt
here,
Post by Richard Foss
edit account or options, view archives and so on.
edit account or options, view archives and so on.
--
Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Having said this we are doing a spatial audio zone in a festival this year
where we boast of "5D" audio ....
Post by Richard Foss
together with two MOTU AVB switches. miniDSP have also recently come out
with a PoE Ethernet AVB capable speaker. This allows for incremental
expansion of the immersive sound system.
--
Professor Richard Foss
Computer Science Department
Rhodes University
Grahamstown 6140
South Africa
Tel: +27 46 603 8294
Cell: +27 83 288 9354
On 17 May 2017, at 1:41 PM, Augustine Leudar <
An interface suggestion might be a Motu 24ao with 3 Behringer ADA8200
adats
- that will give you 48 outs for around £1000. Somebody mentioned some
daisy-chainable firewire device recently which might wook out cheaper
-
Post by Richard Foss
but
I forget the make/model.....
Post by Matthew Palmer
mount the 5 speakers around the sub (any suggestions here are also
appreciated) & build 16 3-speaker high columns that can fit in the
back
Post by Richard Foss
of
Post by Matthew Palmer
setup & travel.
*my recent proposal to a friend of a speaker stand to start & a
custom
Post by Richard Foss
PVC
Post by Richard Foss
edit account or options, view archives and so on.
edit account or options, view archives and so on.
--
Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
--
Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I dont think precise measurements will matter to much - but should keep
speakers should be equidistant vertically (and horizontally) -the debate
would be - should you have one at ear height as that one could appear
louder than the others.... I would think you should have one at ear height
- so whos ear height is the next question . Id say put one around 5'10 up
the poles - that should approximate average height. Space the rest
equidistantly ....
Post by Richard Foss
daisy-chainable firewire device recently which might wook out
cheaper -
Post by Richard Foss
but
I forget the make/model.....
Post by Matthew Palmer
hi group,
i am looking for any advice or suggestions about low-cost materials
Post by Richard Foss
could
Post by Matthew Palmer
use to build the columns of this 4d sound system <
http://demonicsweaters.com/2015/03/the-amazing-4d-sound-
system-is-a-nicola-tesla-inspired-fully-immersive-audio-experience/
i have bought 48 logitech z506's (https://www.logitech.com/en-
us/product/surround-sound-speaker-z506)and am working to construct
Post by Richard Foss
way
Post by Matthew Palmer
mount the 5 speakers around the sub (any suggestions here are also
appreciated) & build 16 3-speaker high columns that can fit in the
back
Post by Richard Foss
of
Post by Matthew Palmer
setup & travel.
*my recent proposal to a friend of a speaker stand to start & a
custom
Post by Richard Foss
PVC