[Sursound] Making something of faulty A-format recording
Tom Hall
2017-06-08 14:23:47 UTC
I've got a SPS200 recording with a unusable 3rd channel (possibly an electrical problem in the recorder). The recording was of general ambience and extracting a detailed/realistic soundstage isn't important. I thought I might be able to extract something in Harpex, but even using the mono shotgun setting, couldn't locate a direction that omitted signal from the ruined 3rd channel. Likewise in Surround Zone 2, adjusting the mic orientation with 0 width stereo still contained channel 3 signal.

I'd like to create a 2-channel output that is less arbitrary than simply using two of the three usable channels, and have got some 'interesting' results using with azimuth / level matching tool in Izotope RX.

I wonder if the group has any other suggestions for experimentation with the 3 usable channels.

Tom
Rudy Chalupa
2017-06-08 15:59:20 UTC
Did you record A or B format? If the former, two possibilities come to mind (assuming stereo out is the goal):
-Use the two back-to back capsules of the remaining three;
-Use the two back-to back capsules, one reverse polarity, for a difference signal and add the center capsule as the mono signal in an MS configuration.

If B format, you could dematrix to A, then proceed as above.

In all cases, significant EQ will probably be needed.

Cordially,

Rudy Chalupa
Pleiades Audio + Electronics

I think that as a quick and dirty fix, bearing in mind that you just want a
general ambience I'd just remove the defective channel altogether, leaving
it silent and feed the remaining 3 channels into either Harpex or Surround
Zone and see what comes out. If not satisfactory, try taking the three
channels and run each through a panner and mix their B format outputs
together. I'm sure there are better.more sophisticated, options, but if
simple works.....

Dave
Post by Tom Hall
I've got a SPS200 recording with a unusable 3rd channel (possibly an
electrical problem in the recorder). The recording was of general ambience
and extracting a detailed/realistic soundstage isn't important. I thought I
might be able to extract something in Harpex, but even using the mono
shotgun setting, couldn't locate a direction that omitted signal from the
ruined 3rd channel. Likewise in Surround Zone 2, adjusting the mic
orientation with 0 width stereo still contained channel 3 signal.
I'd like to create a 2-channel output that is less arbitrary than simply
using two of the three usable channels, and have got some 'interesting'
results using with azimuth / level matching tool in Izotope RX.
I wonder if the group has any other suggestions for experimentation with
the 3 usable channels.
Tom
edit account or options, view archives and so on.
--
As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'
Post by Tom Hall
I've got a SPS200 recording with a unusable 3rd channel (possibly an electrical problem in the recorder). The recording was of general ambience and extracting a detailed/realistic soundstage isn't important. I thought I might be able to extract something in Harpex, but even using the mono shotgun setting, couldn't locate a direction that omitted signal from the ruined 3rd channel. Likewise in Surround Zone 2, adjusting the mic orientation with 0 width stereo still contained channel 3 signal.
I'd like to create a 2-channel output that is less arbitrary than simply using two of the three usable channels, and have got some 'interesting' results using with azimuth / level matching tool in Izotope RX.
I wonder if the group has any other suggestions for experimentation with the 3 usable channels.
Assuming you're missing the third A-format channel (left back) and not the third
B-format one (Y), just using the two first channels should give you a usable
stereo recording.

Ciao,
--
FA