ambisonics + video
Oliver Larkin
2017-10-24 11:03:02 UTC
Hi All,

Is anyone is aware of a good resource that will help me learn about muxing video with ambisonic audio? I don’t have much experience with audio for video full stop and I am confused about what is possible with different codecs. I haven’t been able to find comprehensive info online. I would like to know what video formats/containers for both audio and video i can use to distribute video + HOA audio (although knowing about what’s possible for FOA audio would also be great). Web based playback is what this is really for, but I would also like to know about high quality options for downloads, since VLC 3 does TOA. Not sure if this will allow a custom decoder or if it’s just for binaural.

Sorry for a bit of an open ended question, but if anyone has any tips i’d really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Oli
umashankar manthravadi
2017-10-24 11:37:09 UTC
Try this FB group. You will get lots of help. https://www.facebook.com/groups/SpatialAudioVRARMR/

umashankar

Hi Oliver.

To my knowledge there's nothing special about muxing more than 2
channels of audio with a video stream. Once a video file and a
multi-channel audio file are ready to mux, FFmpeg can do it (MP4Box
is also useful for MP4 streams). About mixing codecs: there's cases
where the MKV container is required; for example, H-264 + Opus, but I
could be wrong. What I found difficult (3 years ago) was to prepare and
render multi-channel audio streams and save them in the AMB format, but
now I suppose there's more options.

I did not know about VLC3 and its ambisonics support.
But I can see here:
https://twitter.com/m4gsoft/status/890127816842465280
That the support is based on Google specs:
https://github.com/google/spatial-media
I guess that the produced files can also be decoded to speaker arrays.

P.S.2: I'd be trilled to consult the FB page that Umashankar suggested,
but it requires a login and I'll never get a FB account. So any useful
info found on FB should be forwarded to non-big-brothered repositories.
--
Marc

here, edit account or options, view archives and so on.
Marc Lavallée
2017-10-24 12:48:41 UTC
FB also have their own specs, and some info can be found here
(without a FB account):
https://facebookincubator.github.io/facebook-360-spatial-workstation/

--
Marc
Aaron Heller
2017-10-24 20:09:07 UTC
I published a python script that does the encoding, mux'ing, and metadata
injection for ".amb" files to YouTube VR videos. Sox and ffmpeg do the
heavy lifting.

https://bitbucket.org/ambidecodertoolbox/amb2yt

Example output at:

You need to view it in Chrome on a desktop/laptop or the YouTube app on an
iPhone (and I presume Android, but have no way to test it).

Aaron
Post by Oliver Larkin
[...]
thanks that’s all great info.

cheers