Discussion:
A mic array I don't recognise
(too old to reply)
Paul Hodges
2018-08-20 20:17:09 UTC
Permalink
Can anyone tell me about this microphone array?

<https://cassland.org/images/query.jpg>

Thanks,
Paul

--
Paul Hodges
Suso Ramallo
2018-08-20 20:20:33 UTC
Permalink
https://www.instalia.eu/nuevo_sistema_de_captacion_de_sonido_en_dos_planos_8423/

> El 20 ago 2018, a las 22:17, Paul Hodges <pwh-***@cassland.org> escribió:
>
> Can anyone tell me about this microphone array?
>
> <https://cassland.org/images/query.jpg>
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul Hodges
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sursound mailing list
> ***@music.vt.edu
> https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/sursound - unsubscribe here, edit account or options, view archives and so on.
Drew Kirkland
2018-08-20 21:10:08 UTC
Permalink
Best guess would be a choir in a church or cathedral 8 way and bass.
Commonly known as experimental with additional swearing.

Drew







Drew Kirkland
1 campbleton cottage
Hunterston Estate
KA23 9QF

07876238608

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 21:17 Paul Hodges, <pwh-***@cassland.org> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me about this microphone array?
>
> <https://cassland.org/images/query.jpg>
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul Hodges
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sursound mailing list
> ***@music.vt.edu
> https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/sursound - unsubscribe here,
> edit account or options, view archives and so on.
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/private/sursound/attachments/20180820/f27736ab/attachment.html>
Emanuele Costantini
2018-08-20 21:20:42 UTC
Permalink
Judging by the Ambeo nearby it looks like an experimental IRT or double
ORTF in "360" mode.


On 20/08/2018 21:17, Paul Hodges wrote:
> Can anyone tell me about this microphone array?
>
> <https://cassland.org/images/query.jpg>
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
Marc Lavallée
2018-08-20 22:59:47 UTC
Permalink
It looks like an array of 4 X-Y or Blumlein pairs (depending on the
pattern of the microphones).

Marc

Le 20/08/2018 à 17:20, Emanuele Costantini a écrit :
> Judging by the Ambeo nearby it looks like an experimental IRT or
> double ORTF in "360" mode.
>
>
> On 20/08/2018 21:17, Paul Hodges wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me about this microphone array?
>>
>> <https://cassland.org/images/query.jpg>
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sursound mailing list
> ***@music.vt.edu
> https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/sursound - unsubscribe
> here, edit account or options, view archives and so on.
Hyunkook Lee
2018-08-21 00:11:35 UTC
Permalink
This looks like an IRT cross augmented with height microphones or a DIY ORTF-3D. The vertically coincident configuration seems to be based on the following paper: vertical mic spacing doesn’t have a significant effect on spatial impression for main mic array.
http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20180820/17560.pdf

For 360 capture, it is essential that each stereo segment has an equal stereo recording angle (SRA) for continuous localisation, thus ‘equal segment microphone array (ESMA)’ - concept by Williams. My 2016 AVAR paper proposes 50cm mic spacing gives optimal localisation for an ESMA with cardioid mics.
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=18511

Hope this helps,
Hyunkook

Sent from my iPhone

On 21 Aug 2018, at 08:00, Marc Lavallée <***@hacklava.net<mailto:***@hacklava.net>> wrote:

It looks like an array of 4 X-Y or Blumlein pairs (depending on the pattern of the microphones).

Marc

Le 20/08/2018 à 17:20, Emanuele Costantini a écrit :
Judging by the Ambeo nearby it looks like an experimental IRT or double ORTF in "360" mode.


On 20/08/2018 21:17, Paul Hodges wrote:
Can anyone tell me about this microphone array?

<https://cassland.org/images/query.jpg>

Thanks,
Paul


_______________________________________________
Sursound mailing list
***@music.vt.edu<mailto:***@music.vt.edu>
https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/sursound - unsubscribe here, edit account or options, view archives and so on.
_______________________________________________
Sursound mailing list
***@music.vt.edu<mailto:***@music.vt.edu>
https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/sursound - unsubscribe here, edit account or options, view archives and so on.
University of Huddersfield inspiring tomorrow's professionals.
[http://marketing.hud.ac.uk/_HOSTED/EmailSig2014/EmailSigFooter.jpg]

This transmission is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you receive it in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and remove it from your system. If the content of this e-mail does not relate to the business of the University of Huddersfield, then we do not endorse it and will accept no liability.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/private/sursound/attachments/20180821/a4c91f7f/attachment.html>
David Pickett
2018-08-28 14:45:23 UTC
Permalink
At 22:17 20-08-18, Paul Hodges wrote:

>Can anyone tell me about this microphone array?
>
><https://cassland.org/images/query.jpg>

Yes.

Fact: It's expensive (8 Schoeps colette cardioid
capsules and amplifiers = €/$ 12,000)

Opinion: In comparison with an Octomic, it's a waste of time and money.

David
seva, soundcurrent mastering
2018-08-28 18:41:17 UTC
Permalink
they’re cardioid. look for the pattern on a capsule you’ll find it.

expanded XY, 110deg
corner quadrant vertical stereo pairs

plus

an omni down below close spaced.

and two spaced schoeps further out, one visible in top left of picture.
higher up than the clusterschoeps.


-seva
sequoyahstudios.com
retired
senior application engineer, associate founder, Waves



On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 10:45 David Pickett <***@fugato.com> wrote:

> At 22:17 20-08-18, Paul Hodges wrote:
>
> >Can anyone tell me about this microphone array?
> >
> ><https://cassland.org/images/query.jpg>
>
> Yes.
>
> Fact: It's expensive (8 Schoeps colette cardioid
> capsules and amplifiers = €/$ 12,000)
>
> Opinion: In comparison with an Octomic, it's a waste of time and money.
>
> David
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sursound mailing list
> ***@music.vt.edu
> https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/sursound - unsubscribe here,
> edit account or options, view archives and so on.
>
> --
best
seva

***@soundcurrent.com
www.soundcurrent.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/private/sursound/attachments/20180828/0c8db1b1/attachment.html>
Paul Hodges
2018-08-28 18:41:53 UTC
Permalink
--On 28 August 2018 16:45 +0200 David Pickett <***@fugato.com> wrote:

> Fact: It's expensive (8 Schoeps colette cardioid capsules and
> amplifiers = €/$ 12,000)

Well, I'd got /that/ far on my own!

Paul

--
Paul Hodges
Loading...