[Sursound] How to find best fit of SOFA files from CIPRIC?
Bo-Erik Sandholm
2017-10-06 13:26:00 UTC
I am looking for information on how to find the best fit from public/Free
SOFA databases.

I think one criteria could be the inter ear distance?
How would I for example find the best fit in the CIPRIC SOFA database for
my headwith.

I do not really want to test all available SOFA files by listening with
them.

And for me the process of getting a personal SOFA seems still to be too
expensive or at least hard to do.

Bo-Erik
Stockholm Sweden
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Would you be interested trying out our mobile phone scanning, see e.g.
https://medium.com/@nahkiz/the-holy-grail-in-audio-and-how-we-found-it-c3e55ccdf37a

On Oct 6, 2017 16:26, "Bo-Erik Sandholm" <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for information on how to find the best fit from public/Free
> SOFA databases.
>
> I think one criteria could be the inter ear distance?
> How would I for example find the best fit in the CIPRIC SOFA database for
> my headwith.
>
> I do not really want to test all available SOFA files by listening with
> them.
>
> And for me the process of getting a personal SOFA seems still to be too
> expensive or at least hard to do.
>
> Bo-Erik
> Stockholm Sweden

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Antti,
I would love to try out your app!
Is it available on the iPhone?

Cheers

Jack

Sent from my iPhone

> On 6 Oct 2017, at 14:37, Antti Vanne <***@ownsurround.com> wrote:
>
> Would you be interested trying out our mobile phone scanning, see e.g.
> https://medium.com/@nahkiz/the-holy-grail-in-audio-and-how-we-found-it-c3e55ccdf37a
>
>> On Oct 6, 2017 16:26, "Bo-Erik Sandholm" <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am looking for information on how to find the best fit from public/Free
>> SOFA databases.
>>
>> I think one criteria could be the inter ear distance?
>> How would I for example find the best fit in the CIPRIC SOFA database for
>> my headwith.
>>
>> I do not really want to test all available SOFA files by listening with
>> them.
>>
>> And for me the process of getting a personal SOFA seems still to be too
>> expensive or at least hard to do.
>>
>> Bo-Erik
>> Stockholm Sweden
>> edit account or options, view archives and so on.

So would I!

Android please :)
Filled out the form on your site too.

Best

Steve
> On 6 Oct 2017, at 14:37, Antti Vanne <***@ownsurround.com> wrote:
>
> Would you be interested trying out our mobile phone scanning, see e.g.
> https://medium.com/@nahkiz/the-holy-grail-in-audio-and-how-we-found-it-c3e55ccdf37a
>
> On Oct 6, 2017 16:26, "Bo-Erik Sandholm" <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for information on how to find the best fit from public/Free
>> SOFA databases.
>>
>> I think one criteria could be the inter ear distance?
>> How would I for example find the best fit in the CIPRIC SOFA database for
>> my headwith.
>>
>> I do not really want to test all available SOFA files by listening with
>> them.
>>
>> And for me the process of getting a personal SOFA seems still to be too
>> expensive or at least hard to do.
>>
>> Bo-Erik
>> Stockholm Sweden
>> edit account or options, view archives and so on.

I’ m in too iPhone 6s+)Filled out the form on your site too

Med venlig hilsen/Best regards
Søren Bendixen
Composer & Producer
soerenbendixen.com

Bo-Erik Sandholm
2017-10-06 18:20:08 UTC
Yes, I would love to try it out.

I tried to get scanned last year, we failed to get a good scan during the
hour we could spend.
They where more used to scanning in lower resolution for 3d printing in a
smaller scale.

I have read a number of articles on scanning, I even bought 2 Microsoft
kinects.
But it it never got off the ground.

I/we will release open sw, firmware and hw spec for open software Bluetooth
4 connected headtracker later this year. To buy the core hw modules should
cost around 20 to 35 euro.
We hope to be able to run this headtracker and binaural player on windows
10, Linux and OSX.

Bo-Erik

Citando Bo-Erik Sandholm <***@gmail.com>:

> Yes, I would love to try it out.
>

> I tried to get scanned last year, we failed to get a good scan during the
>
> hour we could spend.
>
> They where more used to scanning in lower resolution for 3d printing in a
>
> smaller scale.
>

> I have read a number of articles on scanning, I even bought 2 Microsoft
>
> kinects.
>
> But it it never got off the ground.

The kinect won't be able to scan your pinnae, at least not in
sufficient resolution?

Because this is one main weakness of photo-based approaches in general...

Best,

Stefan

P.S.: Don't want to spoil the hrtf capture party though... 😇

> I/we will release open sw, firmware and hw spec for open software Bluetooth
>
> 4 connected headtracker later this year. To buy the core hw modules should
>
> cost around 20 to 35 euro.
>
> We hope to be able to run this headtracker and binaural player on windows
>
> 10, Linux and OSX.
>

> Bo-Erik
>

> On 6 Oct 2017 15:38, "Antti Vanne" <***@ownsurround.com> wrote:
>
>> Would you be interested trying out our mobile phone scanning, see e.g.
>>
>> https://medium.com/@nahkiz/the-holy-grail-in-audio-and-
>>
>> how-we-found-it-c3e55ccdf37a
>>

>> On Oct 6, 2017 16:26, "Bo-Erik Sandholm" <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I am looking for information on how to find the best fit from public/Free
>>
>> SOFA databases.
>>

>> I think one criteria could be the inter ear distance?
>>
>> How would I for example find the best fit in the CIPRIC SOFA database for
>>
>> my headwith.
>>

>> I do not really want to test all available SOFA files by listening with
>>
>> them.
>>

>> And for me the process of getting a personal SOFA seems still to be too
>>
>> expensive or at least hard to do.
>>

>> Bo-Erik
>>
>> Stockholm Sweden
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Sorry, the last mail written on my iPad (linked to my mailserver) got
completely unreadable.

So again:

"I have read a number of articles on scanning, I even bought 2
Microsoft kinects.

But it it never got off the ground."

The kinect won't be able to scan your pinnae, at least not in
sufficient resolution?

Because this is one main weakness of photo-based approaches in general...

Best,

Stefan

Citando Bo-Erik Sandholm <***@gmail.com>:

> Yes, I would love to try it out.
>

> I tried to get scanned last year, we failed to get a good scan during the
>
> hour we could spend.
>
> They where more used to scanning in lower resolution for 3d printing in a
>
> smaller scale.
>

> I have read a number of articles on scanning, I even bought 2 Microsoft
>
> kinects.
>
> But it it never got off the ground.
>

> I/we will release open sw, firmware and hw spec for open software Bluetooth
>
> 4 connected headtracker later this year. To buy the core hw modules should
>
> cost around 20 to 35 euro.
>
> We hope to be able to run this headtracker and binaural player on windows
>
> 10, Linux and OSX.
>

> Bo-Erik
>

> On 6 Oct 2017 15:38, "Antti Vanne" <***@ownsurround.com> wrote:
>
>> Would you be interested trying out our mobile phone scanning, see e.g.
>>
>> https://medium.com/@nahkiz/the-holy-grail-in-audio-and-
>>
>> how-we-found-it-c3e55ccdf37a
>>

>> On Oct 6, 2017 16:26, "Bo-Erik Sandholm" <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I am looking for information on how to find the best fit from public/Free
>>
>> SOFA databases.
>>

>> I think one criteria could be the inter ear distance?
>>
>> How would I for example find the best fit in the CIPRIC SOFA database for
>>
>> my headwith.
>>

>> I do not really want to test all available SOFA files by listening with
>>
>> them.
>>

>> And for me the process of getting a personal SOFA seems still to be too
>>
>> expensive or at least hard to do.
>>

>> Bo-Erik
>>
>> Stockholm Sweden
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hi Antti...

Could you be a bit more explicit on how the photo scan is actually done?

Is not explained in the link(s) - and should not be a classified
secret either I guess..

Thanks!

Stefan

Citando Antti Vanne <***@ownsurround.com>:

> Would you be interested trying out our mobile phone scanning, see e.g.
>

> https://medium.com/@nahkiz/the-holy-grail-in-audio-and-how-we-found-it-c3e55ccdf37a
>

> On Oct 6, 2017 16:26, "Bo-Erik Sandholm" <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for information on how to find the best fit from public/Free
>>
>> SOFA databases.
>>

>> I think one criteria could be the inter ear distance?
>>
>> How would I for example find the best fit in the CIPRIC SOFA database for
>>
>> my headwith.
>>

>> I do not really want to test all available SOFA files by listening with
>>
>> them.
>>

>> And for me the process of getting a personal SOFA seems still to be too
>>
>> expensive or at least hard to do.
>>

>> Bo-Erik
>>
>> Stockholm Sweden
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

we use three videos for the reconstruction. One where you go around the
scanned person so that his/her head and shoulders are visible. The other
two are closeup's of the ears, where you move the phone so that all parts
of the pinnae are illuminated and recorded. In the video embedded in the
blog post the ear closeups are actually the ones used for the
reconstruction.

This way we get good resolution where we need it and it only takes about a
minute for the whole scan.

I'll be in touch next week with everyone interested.

BR
Antti

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 9:35 PM, <***@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

> Hi Antti...
>
> Could you be a bit more explicit on how the photo scan is actually done?
>
> Is not explained in the link(s) - and should not be a classified secret
> either I guess..
>
> Thanks!
>
> Stefan
>
> Citando Antti Vanne <***@ownsurround.com>:
>
> Would you be interested trying out our mobile phone scanning, see e.g.
>>
>> https://medium.com/@nahkiz/the-holy-grail-in-audio-and-how-
>> we-found-it-c3e55ccdf37a
>>

>> On Oct 6, 2017 16:26, "Bo-Erik Sandholm" <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am looking for information on how to find the best fit from public/Free
>>>
>>> SOFA databases.
>>>

>>> I think one criteria could be the inter ear distance?
>>>
>>> How would I for example find the best fit in the CIPRIC SOFA database
>>> for
>>>
>>> my headwith.
>>>

>>> I do not really want to test all available SOFA files by listening with
>>>
>>> them.
>>>

>>> And for me the process of getting a personal SOFA seems still to be too
>>>
>>> expensive or at least hard to do.
>>>

>>> Bo-Erik
>>>
>>> Stockholm Sweden

Antti Vanne CEO
OwnSurround
Tel. +358 50 3566744
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I'd be very interested to try.
Some references (and even source code) would also be much appreciated.

--
Marc

Antti Vanne
2017-10-09 06:31:45 UTC
You can find some recent papers and a high resolution near field HRTF set
from http://idaaudio.com/downloads/

Also, our CTO published in 2007 first paper to demonstrate simulation of
complete audible range HRTF using parallel computing: http://www.
worldscientific.com/doi/abs/10.1142/S0218396X07003469

Others that might be interesting:
Rapid generation of personalized HRTFs http://www.aes.org/e-lib/
browse.cfm?elib=17365
Simulation of head related transfer functions using cloud computing
http://asa.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1121/1.4800138

Our early simulation data was used in perceptual tests, but this doesn't
include personalised HRTFs but simulation of HATS dummy
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=14619

BR
Antti

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 3:55 AM, Marc Lavallée <***@hacklava.net> wrote:

> I'd be very interested to try.
> Some references (and even source code) would also be much appreciated.
>
> --
> Marc
>
> Le Fri, 6 Oct 2017 22:26:48 +0300
> Antti Vanne <***@ownsurround.com> a écrit:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > we use three videos for the reconstruction. One where you go around
> > the scanned person so that his/her head and shoulders are visible.
> > The other two are closeup's of the ears, where you move the phone so
> > that all parts of the pinnae are illuminated and recorded. In the
> > video embedded in the blog post the ear closeups are actually the
> > ones used for the reconstruction.
> >
> > This way we get good resolution where we need it and it only takes
> > about a minute for the whole scan.
> >
> > I'll be in touch next week with everyone interested.
> >
> > BR
> > Antti
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 9:35 PM, <***@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Antti...
> > >
> > > Could you be a bit more explicit on how the photo scan is actually
> > > done?
> > >
> > > Is not explained in the link(s) - and should not be a classified
> > > secret either I guess..
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Stefan
> > >
> > > Citando Antti Vanne <***@ownsurround.com>:
> > >
> > > Would you be interested trying out our mobile phone scanning, see
> > > e.g.

> > > here, edit account or options, view archives and so on.

--
Antti Vanne CEO
OwnSurround
Tel. +358 50 3566744
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I'd also be very interested in trying it out as well please, Antti! I have a specific project in mind that this might be perfect for...

Best,
Tim

T I M B I S H O P
Performance Artist
+46 76-622 66 14
[***@timbishopartist.com](http://timbishopartist.com)
www.timbishopartist.com

I would be very interested as well in trying this out using my Android device.

Daryl Pierce
www.darylpierce.com

________________________________
Would you be interested trying out our mobile phone scanning, see e.g.
https://medium.com/@nahkiz/the-holy-grail-in-audio-and-how-we-found-it-c3e55ccdf37a

On Oct 6, 2017 16:26, "Bo-Erik Sandholm" <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for information on how to find the best fit from public/Free
> SOFA databases.
>
> I think one criteria could be the inter ear distance?
> How would I for example find the best fit in the CIPRIC SOFA database for
> my headwith.
>
> I do not really want to test all available SOFA files by listening with
> them.
>
> And for me the process of getting a personal SOFA seems still to be too
> expensive or at least hard to do.
>
> Bo-Erik
> Stockholm Sweden

Antti,
I would love to try this out. Please count me in!
...Ben