Massless speakers
Gary Gallagher
2018-03-25 06:45:11 UTC
Never heard of this. Using laser plasma as driver for a speaker. Here as
weapon - but it would be interesting to hear/see a refined version of
this. I'm curious about the spinning disk set up at the end of the video
there appears to be some sort of modulation in the sound.

US MILITARY DEVELOPING LASER PLASMA SPEAKERS
<https://hackaday.com/2018/03/24/us-military-developing-laser-plasma-speakers/>

Gary
Ive been wondering for a while whether it was possible to use
electromagnetic waves interferance patterns to generate sound in 3D space
- the conclusions my physisit friends had was yes - possible - but not
without killing anyone that heard it .Plamsa is a bit different of course
to an EM wave....

On 25 March 2018 at 07:45, Gary Gallagher <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> Never heard of this. Using laser plasma as driver for a speaker. Here as
> weapon - but it would be interesting to hear/see a refined version of
> this. I'm curious about the spinning disk set up at the end of the video
> there appears to be some sort of modulation in the sound.
>
> US MILITARY DEVELOPING LASER PLASMA SPEAKERS
> <https://hackaday.com/2018/03/24/us-military-developing-
> laser-plasma-speakers/>
>
> Gary

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
www.magikdoor.net
Accapella Audio Arts has been making horns with plasma tweeters for a while
now. They are some of the largest, and most expensive speakers made.
Awesome in thier rediculousness, i'd be afraid that someone would get drunk
at my home and mistake them for a sink or a urinal.

http://www.acapella.de/en/

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 1:23 AM, Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Ive been wondering for a while whether it was possible to use
> electromagnetic waves interferance patterns to generate sound in 3D space
> - the conclusions my physisit friends had was yes - possible - but not
> without killing anyone that heard it .Plamsa is a bit different of course
> to an EM wave....
>
> On 25 March 2018 at 07:45, Gary Gallagher <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Never heard of this. Using laser plasma as driver for a speaker. Here as
> > weapon - but it would be interesting to hear/see a refined version of
> > this. I'm curious about the spinning disk set up at the end of the video
> > there appears to be some sort of modulation in the sound.
> >
> > US MILITARY DEVELOPING LASER PLASMA SPEAKERS
> > <https://hackaday.com/2018/03/24/us-military-developing-
> > laser-plasma-speakers/>
> >
> > Gary
> > edit account or options, view archives and so on.
> >

> --
> Dr. Augustine Leudar
> Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
> Company Number : NI635217
> Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
> Belfast BT88LL
> www.magikdoor.net

Bearcat M. Şándor
Feline Soul Systems LLC
Voice: 872.CAT.SOUL (872.228.7685)
Fax: 406.235.7070
Are these not the same as the Ionophone speakers,
sold as Ionofane tweeters in the 1960s? They were flat from 10kHz to oo!

David

At 12:41 25-03-18, Bearcat Şándor wrote:

>Accapella Audio Arts has been making horns with plasma tweeters for a while
>now. They are some of the largest, and most expensive speakers made.
>Awesome in thier rediculousness, i'd be afraid that someone would get drunk
>at my home and mistake them for a sink or a urinal.
>
>http://www.acapella.de/en/
>
>On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 1:23 AM, Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Ive been wondering for a while whether it was possible to use
>> electromagnetic waves interferance patterns to generate sound in 3D space
>> - the conclusions my physisit friends had was yes - possible - but not
>> without killing anyone that heard it .Plamsa is a bit different of course
>> to an EM wave....
>
>> On 25 March 2018 at 07:45, Gary Gallagher <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Never heard of this. Using laser plasma as driver for a speaker. Here as
>> > weapon - but it would be interesting to hear/see a refined version of
>> > this. I'm curious about the spinning disk set up at the end of the video
>> > there appears to be some sort of modulation in the sound.
>> >
>> > US MILITARY DEVELOPING LASER PLASMA SPEAKERS

<https://hackaday.com/2018/03/24/us-military-developing->>
> laser-plasma-speakers/>
>> >
>> > Gary
>> > edit account or options, view archives and so on.
>> >

>> --
>> Dr. Augustine Leudar
>> Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
>> Company Number : NI635217
>> Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
>> Belfast BT88LL
>> www.magikdoor.net
>> edit account or options, view archives and so on.
>

>--
>Bearcat M. Şándor
>Feline Soul Systems LLC
>Voice: 872.CAT.SOUL (872.228.7685)
>Fax: 406.235.7070
Hi,

here in Aalto university there has been quite a lot of research using lasers to generate precise omnidirectional impulses at various focusing points for impulse response measurements of enclosures.

I also remember during a lecture in ISVR, UK, the lecturer mentioning these old plasma tweeters, saying they did not get very far cause they were ionizing the air producing hazardous levels of ozone :-D .

Archontis Politis

At 09:25 26-03-18, Politis Archontis wrote:

>I also remember during a lecture in ISVR, UK, the lecturer mentioning
>these old plasma tweeters, saying they did not get very far cause they
>were ionizing the air producing hazardous levels of ozone :-D .

Rubbish! A friend of mine had a pair and they worked well and nobody
I know suffered from ozone exposure.

The problems were a) they were patented, b) they were very expensive
and c) they wouldnt work below 10kHz unless loaded by an enormous horn!

David
Gary Gallagher
2018-03-27 02:34:49 UTC
Archontis,
Was you group using a dual laser set up or where you
depending on dust/debris in the air to trigger the noise?

Gary