Going from 3rd order to 1st order. (Fons Adriaensen)
James Anthony Enda Bates
2017-02-08 17:22:22 UTC
"A different matter is e.g. using a higher order decoder with only a
first order signal, or mixing a first order signal into a higher
order one. Then for best results you need to modify the first order
signals. This may be what you remember."

That is exactly what I was trying to remember, many thanks Fons.

Which is good, as the specific workflow question I had here is actually on
the encoding side, i.e just using a single 3rd order encoder plugin to
generate both 1st or 3rd order material as needed, so the above issue
doesn't arise.

Although, as more platforms like YouTube start to support HOA, I can see
the above potentially becoming a problem when combining b-format recordings
with HOA encoded material within a single mix. In that scenario I guess
upmixing the B-format material using something like Harpex, or HOA
microphones would be the solution?

Thanks everyone,
enda
--
Dr. Enda Bates
Teaching / Research Fellow

+353 1 896 1434
***@tcd.ie
www.endabates.net <http://www.endabates.net>www.tcd.ie
Post by James Anthony Enda Bates
Although, as more platforms like YouTube start to support HOA, I can see
the above potentially becoming a problem when combining b-format recordings
with HOA encoded material within a single mix. In that scenario I guess
upmixing the B-format material using something like Harpex, or HOA
microphones would be the solution?
Depends really on the content. If the 1st order material has some
dominant discrete sources then an upmixing process such as Harpex
can be the right thing. If it's diffuse ambience or reverb then
just mixing it in (with some control of W vs XYZ gain) will give
better results. Some dominance can help in that case as well.

In the end it's an artistic matter, as are so many things when
mixing or mastering.

Ciao,
--
FA