Numinous3D headphone disco
Oliver Larkin
2017-11-03 11:58:00 UTC
Dear surr-sounders,

Please check out a website I made numinous3d.com <http://numinous3d.com/> where I have done a 3D mix of a friend's track (which is currently in the top 10 on beatport.com <http://beatport.com/> psychedelic trance section**). The website is and interactive VR experience which transports you to the SPIRAL studio at the University of Huddersfield, UK where I mixed the piece in HOA. It includes some fascinating visualisation of the HOA soundfield done with Blue Ripple Sound’s O3A Flare (thanks Richard!). Be warned that the website is a bit slow to load and works best on desktop chrome/firefox (recent version). it does work for me with my iphone and google cardboard when I have a decent internet connection*. It also works well on desktop windows with the HTC Vive in Firefox. On the website you will hear a two channel binaural mix that I have done by re-recording different elements of the HOA mix in the Applied Psychoacoustics Lab (APL) listening room using a Neumann KU100 dummy head, and mixing that with direct sound (kick & bass) and 5OA decoded to binaural, where the room impression from the KU100 didn't work.

You can also listen to that binaural mix on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/olilarkin/pogo-sonicspecies-numinous-3d-binaural-mix <https://soundcloud.com/olilarkin/pogo-sonicspecies-numinous-3d-binaural-mix>

I've uploaded a 360 video version to both facebook and youtube, which both use head tracked binauralisers. There I am a bit less in control of the mix. It's interesting how different the bass and spatialisation sounds on facebook (where I've uploaded 2nd order Ambix audio) versus youtube (where I've uploaded 1st order Ambix audio)

Youtube 360 version: http://youtu.be/qUTNqWWIF0k <http://youtu.be/qUTNqWWIF0k>

Facebook 360 version: http://goo.gl/9kZG5V <http://goo.gl/9kZG5V>

If anyone would like the high quality, uncompressed versions of the binaural mix or 1OA -> 5OA files to play in your studio please contact me directly.

I'm very interested to hear your feedback on this. If you “like” it please do click the button on facebook / soundcloud / youtube!

best regards,

Oli Larkin

www.olilarkin.co.uk <http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/>

* the music is 8 minutes long and is supplied as stereo track in a webm/mp4 video file. the video file is ~20 mb (webm) / ~40mb (mp4) . Originally I wanted to include options to render head tracked binaural on the website using omnitone.js, but I wasn’t able to implement that at this stage. What I really should do is do the visualisation as a shader thus losing the video, and meaning that 8 minutes of 16 channel TOA is reasonable.

** https://www.beatport.com/release/numinous/2132630 <https://www.beatport.com/release/numinous/2132630>
looks and sounds great Oli its nice to see the technology used for other
experimental genres and not just electroacoustic music :) We've been doing
quite a bit of 3D audio techno, ambient and dub this year at festivals and
events - its going down amazingly well (especially live!) - maybe we should
organise an event together.....

On 3 November 2017 at 11:58, Oliver Larkin <***@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Dear surr-sounders,
>
> Please check out a website I made numinous3d.com <http://numinous3d.com/>
> where I have done a 3D mix of a friend's track (which is currently in the
> top 10 on beatport.com <http://beatport.com/> psychedelic trance
> section**). The website is and interactive VR experience which transports
> you to the SPIRAL studio at the University of Huddersfield, UK where I
> mixed the piece in HOA. It includes some fascinating visualisation of the
> HOA soundfield done with Blue Ripple Sound’s O3A Flare (thanks Richard!).
> Be warned that the website is a bit slow to load and works best on desktop
> chrome/firefox (recent version). it does work for me with my iphone and
> google cardboard when I have a decent internet connection*. It also works
> well on desktop windows with the HTC Vive in Firefox. On the website you
> will hear a two channel binaural mix that I have done by re-recording
> different elements of the HOA mix in the Applied Psychoacoustics Lab (APL)
> listening room using a Neumann KU100 dummy head, and mixing that with
> direct sound (kick & bass) and 5OA decoded to binaural, where the room
> impression from the KU100 didn't work.
>
> You can also listen to that binaural mix on soundcloud:
> https://soundcloud.com/olilarkin/pogo-sonicspecies-
> numinous-3d-binaural-mix <https://soundcloud.com/
> olilarkin/pogo-sonicspecies-numinous-3d-binaural-mix>
>
> I've uploaded a 360 video version to both facebook and youtube, which both
> use head tracked binauralisers. There I am a bit less in control of the
> mix. It's interesting how different the bass and spatialisation sounds on
> facebook (where I've uploaded 2nd order Ambix audio) versus youtube (where
> I've uploaded 1st order Ambix audio)
>
> Youtube 360 version: http://youtu.be/qUTNqWWIF0k <
> http://youtu.be/qUTNqWWIF0k>
>
> Facebook 360 version: http://goo.gl/9kZG5V <http://goo.gl/9kZG5V>
>
> If anyone would like the high quality, uncompressed versions of the
> binaural mix or 1OA -> 5OA files to play in your studio please contact me
> directly.
>
> I'm very interested to hear your feedback on this. If you “like” it please
> do click the button on facebook / soundcloud / youtube!
>
> best regards,
>
> Oli Larkin
>
> www.olilarkin.co.uk <http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/>
>

> * the music is 8 minutes long and is supplied as stereo track in a
> webm/mp4 video file. the video file is ~20 mb (webm) / ~40mb (mp4) .
> Originally I wanted to include options to render head tracked binaural on
> the website using omnitone.js, but I wasn’t able to implement that at this
> stage. What I really should do is do the visualisation as a shader thus
> losing the video, and meaning that 8 minutes of 16 channel TOA is
> reasonable.
>
> ** https://www.beatport.com/release/numinous/2132630 <
> https://www.beatport.com/release/numinous/2132630>

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
In terms of the binaural effect - I liked the the way the localisation of
sounds changes as you moved the image around (didnt realise that it did
that till half way through). However I only really got the ILDs and ITDs an
no sense of height no doubt due to the well known issues surround
individual HRTFs - and my ears a bit of a weird shape anyway.....

--
Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
PS of the 3 I think the youtube one spatialised best for me - hard to tell
with the facebook on as it had problems loading - but the youtube version
seemed to work better for me than the website version - not sure why that
should be.

--
Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
thanks gus, glad you like it! i’d still like to hear that spatial dub…

to me the bass sounds unpleasant on FB360, and I don’t get much benefit from it being 2nd order. I prefer youtube. The binaural dummy head sounds most externalised, but i have sat in the spot where it was recorded and listened on nice open back headphones. It’s amazing how listening in different environments i can easily loose the externalisation.

I think omnitone.js will let me use my own KU100 HRIRs measured in the space so that might be the way forward, once i can integrate that in the web version

oli

Oliver Larkin wrote:

>thanks gus, glad you like it! i’d still like to hear that spatial dub…
>
>to me the bass sounds unpleasant on FB360, and I don’t get much benefit from it being 2nd order. I prefer youtube. The binaural dummy head sounds most externalised, but i have sat in the spot where it was recorded and listened on nice open back headphones. It’s amazing how listening in different environments i can easily loose the externalisation.
>
>I think omnitone.js will let me use my own KU100 HRIRs measured in the space so that might be the way forward, once i can integrate that in the web version
>
>oli

Hi Oli...

Omnitone uses 256-tap HRIRs, which are HRTFs. An Ambisonics recording
would already include hall ambience - but Omnitone HRIRs don't include
any hall response.

You would like to record KU100 < BRIRs >. So you would have to change
Omnitone's renderer to allow long HRIRs= BRIRs

I don't say things can't be done in this way - but you would have to
spend a lot of effort.

BR

Stefan

Oliver Larkin
2017-11-04 23:10:06 UTC
Thanks Stefan, yes that's what I meant. Ill experiment with omnitone and
see how far I can get.

On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 at 17:58, Stefan Schreiber <***@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

> Oliver Larkin wrote:
>
> >thanks gus, glad you like it! i’d still like to hear that spatial dub…
> >
> >to me the bass sounds unpleasant on FB360, and I don’t get much benefit
> from it being 2nd order. I prefer youtube. The binaural dummy head sounds
> most externalised, but i have sat in the spot where it was recorded and
> listened on nice open back headphones. It’s amazing how listening in
> different environments i can easily loose the externalisation.
> >
> >I think omnitone.js will let me use my own KU100 HRIRs measured in the
> space so that might be the way forward, once i can integrate that in the
> web version
> >
> >oli
> >

> Hi Oli...
>
> Omnitone uses 256-tap HRIRs, which are HRTFs. An Ambisonics recording
> would already include hall ambience - but Omnitone HRIRs don't include
> any hall response.
>
> You would like to record KU100 < BRIRs >. So you would have to change
> Omnitone's renderer to allow long HRIRs= BRIRs
>
> I don't say things can't be done in this way - but you would have to
> spend a lot of effort.
>
> BR
>
> Stefan
>

> >>On 3 Nov 2017, at 15:46, Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >>PS of the 3 I think the youtube one spatialised best for me - hard to
> tell
> >>with the facebook on as it had problems loading - but the youtube version
> >>seemed to work better for me than the website version - not sure why that
> >>should be.
> >>
> >>On 3 November 2017 at 15:35, Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com
> <mailto:***@gmail.com>>

> of
> ITDs an

> ***@gmail.com>

> other
> doing
> and
> should

> http://numinous3d.com/>
> the
> transports
> the
> Richard!).
> desktop
> and
> works
> you
> (APL)

> of
> sounds

> contact me

> binaural on
> this
> thus

Very cool.

> Den 3. nov. 2017 kl. 12.58 skrev Oliver Larkin <***@googlemail.com>:
>
> Dear surr-sounders,
>
> Please check out a website I made numinous3d.com <http://numinous3d.com/> where I have done a 3D mix of a friend's track (which is currently in the top 10 on beatport.com <http://beatport.com/> psychedelic trance section**). The website is and interactive VR experience which transports you to the SPIRAL studio at the University of Huddersfield, UK where I mixed the piece in HOA. It includes some fascinating visualisation of the HOA soundfield done with Blue Ripple Sound’s O3A Flare (thanks Richard!). Be warned that the website is a bit slow to load and works best on desktop chrome/firefox (recent version). it does work for me with my iphone and google cardboard when I have a decent internet connection*. It also works well on desktop windows with the HTC Vive in Firefox. On the website you will hear a two channel binaural mix that I have done by re-recording different elements of the HOA mix in the Applied Psychoacoustics Lab (APL) listening room using a Neumann KU100 dummy head, and mixing that with direct sound (kick & bass) and 5OA decoded to binaural, where the room impression from the KU100 didn't work.
>
> You can also listen to that binaural mix on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/olilarkin/pogo-sonicspecies-numinous-3d-binaural-mix <https://soundcloud.com/olilarkin/pogo-sonicspecies-numinous-3d-binaural-mix>
>
> I've uploaded a 360 video version to both facebook and youtube, which both use head tracked binauralisers. There I am a bit less in control of the mix. It's interesting how different the bass and spatialisation sounds on facebook (where I've uploaded 2nd order Ambix audio) versus youtube (where I've uploaded 1st order Ambix audio)
>
> Youtube 360 version: http://youtu.be/qUTNqWWIF0k <http://youtu.be/qUTNqWWIF0k>
>
> Facebook 360 version: http://goo.gl/9kZG5V <http://goo.gl/9kZG5V>
>
> If anyone would like the high quality, uncompressed versions of the binaural mix or 1OA -> 5OA files to play in your studio please contact me directly.
>
> I'm very interested to hear your feedback on this. If you “like” it please do click the button on facebook / soundcloud / youtube!
>
> best regards,
>
> Oli Larkin
>
> www.olilarkin.co.uk <http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/>
>

> * the music is 8 minutes long and is supplied as stereo track in a webm/mp4 video file. the video file is ~20 mb (webm) / ~40mb (mp4) . Originally I wanted to include options to render head tracked binaural on the website using omnitone.js, but I wasn’t able to implement that at this stage. What I really should do is do the visualisation as a shader thus losing the video, and meaning that 8 minutes of 16 channel TOA is reasonable.
>
> ** https://www.beatport.com/release/numinous/2132630 <https://www.beatport.com/release/numinous/2132630>

Med venlig hilsen/Best regards

Søren Bendixen
Composer/Sound Designer/Producer

Winner of Monitor Industry Award 2016 for the exhibition “Gladiator”, At Moesgaard Museum

New album Music for exhibitions out 15 January 2017

Company: Søren Bendixen & Anette Krag
***@gmail.com
+45 60624394
www.soerenbendixen.com
Facebook
Soundcloud

I made a mistake with the facebook 360 version of this.. here is a corrected version for anyone interested in comparing the binaural renderings:

https://goo.gl/XV9Kvw <https://goo.gl/XV9Kvw>

oli

> [...]
>>
>> www.olilarkin.co.uk <http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/>
>>

>> * the music is 8 minutes long and is supplied as stereo track in a webm/mp4 video file. the video file is ~20 mb (webm) / ~40mb (mp4) . Originally I wanted to include options to render head tracked binaural on the website using omnitone.js, but I wasn’t able to implement that at this stage. What I really should do is do the visualisation as a shader thus losing the video, and meaning that 8 minutes of 16 channel TOA is reasonable.
>>
>> ** https://www.beatport.com/release/numinous/2132630 <https://www.beatport.com/release/numinous/2132630>
>
> Med venlig hilsen/Best regards
>
> Søren Bendixen
> Composer/Sound Designer/Producer
>
> Winner of Monitor Industry Award 2016 for the exhibition “Gladiator”, At Moesgaard Museum
>
> New album Music for exhibitions out 15 January 2017

Hi Oliver.

I did not compare both (I yet have to listen to it).
But I was able to download the video using youtube-dl.
I notice that the audio track have 8 channels,
for a total average bitrate of 347 Kbps.
That mean only 44 Kbps per channel!
Of course the codec is (now) designed for ambisonics,
so it could be that it performs well enough at such a low bit rate.

How would you compare the compressed version to the original?

--
Marc