Software plugin for SPS200
Trond Lossius
2017-03-20 10:03:44 UTC
Hi,

A friend of me attempts to convert recordings made using the SoundField SPS200 mic on OSX, and experiences major problems loading the AU and VST plugins for Mac. The plugin does not currently seem to be available from http://soundfield.com/, and I notice that my versions of the plugins are getting pretty old:

SPS200SurroundZone.component - 24 Feb 2010
SPS200SurroundZoneVSTi.vst - 01 Oct 2009

I’m at El Capitan. The AU works for me, but the VST does not.

- Are anyone aware of more recent versions of these plugins?
- Do they work with macOS Sierra?

Thanks,
Trond
John Leonard
2017-03-20 10:28:08 UTC
There’s still a download here: http://www.tslproducts.com/surroundzone-2-software-download/ and on the Rode site here: http://www.soundfield.com/products/surroundzone2

I’m on Sierra and the VST works fine for me in Nuendo.

However, it’s worth noting again that Svein Berge has a new version of Harpex on the way which deals with the SPS200, the Ambeo and the TetraMic, although I have’t tried that bit yet and I’m not sure how it deals with the individual calibration files. I’ll report back later.

Cheers,

John

Please note new email address & direct line phone number
email: ***@johnleonard.uk
phone +44 (0)20 3286 5942

Paul Hodges
2017-03-20 11:12:14 UTC
--On 20 March 2017 11:03 +0100 Trond Lossius <***@bek.no>
wrote:

> SPS200SurroundZone.component - 24 Feb 2010
> SPS200SurroundZoneVSTi.vst - 01 Oct 2009

At the very least you should get SurroundZone 2 (at the links that John
gave). (You're on a Mac, so you won't be affected by this: but Windows
users should note that by default the installer puts the 32 and 64 bit
versions into the 64 and 32 bit VST directories respectively!)

You should also be aware that the SPS200 is not individually
calibrated, so the result varies according to the consistency of the
capsules on your specific mic. The good folk at Core Sound offer a
calibration service for the SPS200, giving you files that can be used
in the same software as their TetraMic calibration files - such as
VVMic, VVTetraVST and VVAudio's latest VST, VVEncode (which also
handles the calibration files for the Brahma). I shall shortly be
preparing some comparisons of SPS200 recordings processed using
SurroundZone2 and VVEncode, alongside recordings made simultaneously
with a TetraMic.

Paul

Paul Hodges
umashankar manthravadi
2017-03-20 13:17:30 UTC
two programs of angelo farina's team are also worth looking at. Brahmavolver is only 16 bit, but it is the only standalone AtoB convertor I know of. There is also Xvolver, a VST program which does not have this limitation. Both require a matrix of IRs produced during calibration.

I am particularly interested in X-volver it does not have the four input limitation of VVencode. I am about to start the process of producing calibration files for an eight channel second order microphone with help from Angelo, and it will probably work with X-volver.

As an aside, I have just restarted the making of Brahma microphones. They will be made in Bangalore; I will start with Brahma in Zoom, with the Brahma microphone built into the recorder. I will also sell modified Zoom along with unbalanced Brahma microphones, both 14 mm and 25 mm, the same microphones with Phantom power built in, a phantom module which connects to the unbalanced microphones, and of course the second order microphone, outputting to DB 25 Tascam format.

Umashankar

________________________________
> SPS200SurroundZone.component - 24 Feb 2010
> SPS200SurroundZoneVSTi.vst - 01 Oct 2009

At the very least you should get SurroundZone 2 (at the links that John
gave). (You're on a Mac, so you won't be affected by this: but Windows
users should note that by default the installer puts the 32 and 64 bit
versions into the 64 and 32 bit VST directories respectively!)

You should also be aware that the SPS200 is not individually
calibrated, so the result varies according to the consistency of the
capsules on your specific mic. The good folk at Core Sound offer a
calibration service for the SPS200, giving you files that can be used
in the same software as their TetraMic calibration files - such as
VVMic, VVTetraVST and VVAudio's latest VST, VVEncode (which also
handles the calibration files for the Brahma). I shall shortly be
preparing some comparisons of SPS200 recordings processed using
SurroundZone2 and VVEncode, alongside recordings made simultaneously
with a TetraMic.

Paul

--
Paul Hodges