Cellphone tetrahedral
Add Reply
Steven Boardman
2017-08-18 07:36:33 UTC
http://yun.twirlingvr.com/index.php/home/Lite/lite-en

They were also going to bring out a stand alone integrated recording
solution.
Will download the b-format files and listen in the studio later..
Looks precarious, and prone to falling out/over/off. Especially as most
usb ports are on the bottom and not that tight.

Steve
Sounds ok for it’s current price. Maybe a little phasey, but hard to judge with only those two recordings.
Shame the music performance was a table tennis recording, and not of the actual guitar performance pictured.

> On 18 Aug 2017, at 08:36, Steven Boardman <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> http://yun.twirlingvr.com/index.php/home/Lite/lite-en <http://yun.twirlingvr.com/index.php/home/Lite/lite-en>
>
> They were also going to bring out a stand alone integrated recording solution.
> Will download the b-format files and listen in the studio later..
> Looks precarious, and prone to falling out/over/off. Especially as most usb ports are on the bottom and not that tight.
>
> Steve

A rigid plastic cell phone cover could be modified to better hold the
microphone. At such a low price it looks like a fun toy, and maybe it
can be calibrated.
--
Marc

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 08:36:33 +0100
Steven Boardman <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://yun.twirlingvr.com/index.php/home/Lite/lite-en
>
> They were also going to bring out a stand alone integrated recording
> solution.
> Will download the b-format files and listen in the studio later..
> Looks precarious, and prone to falling out/over/off. Especially as
> most usb ports are on the bottom and not that tight.
>
> Steve
It seems that ping pong is the "musical event" of choice. There's
nothing like being historically aware (cf 1957 stereo demo LPs)!

David

At 09:36 18-08-17, Steven Boardman wrote:
>http://yun.twirlingvr.com/index.php/home/Lite/lite-en
>
>They were also going to bring out a stand alone integrated recording
>solution.
>Will download the b-format files and listen in the studio later..
>Looks precarious, and prone to falling out/over/off. Especially as most
>usb ports are on the bottom and not that tight.
>
>Steve
It is but a contemporary development of the precedent set by Debussy with Jeux.

David Worrall, PhD

Professor and Chair

Audio Arts and Acoustics Department

School of Media Arts

Columbia College Chicago

President, International Community for Auditory Display icad.org

personal research/creative practice website: avatar.com.au

From: Sursound <sursound-***@music.vt.edu> on behalf of David Pickett <***@fugato.com>
Date: Friday, August 18, 2017 at 3:13 AM
To: Surround Sound discussion group <***@music.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Cellphone tetrahedral

It seems that ping pong is the "musical event" of choice. There's

nothing like being historically aware (cf 1957 stereo demo LPs)!

David

At 09:36 18-08-17, Steven Boardman wrote:

>http://yun.twirlingvr.com/index.php/home/Lite/lite-en

>They were also going to bring out a stand alone integrated recording

>solution.

>Will download the b-format files and listen in the studio later..

>Looks precarious, and prone to falling out/over/off. Especially as most

>usb ports are on the bottom and not that tight.

>Steve

>-------------- next part --------------

>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

><https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/private/sursound/attachments/201708>18/1a9c54e3/attachment.html>

>here, edit account or options, view archives and so on.

Since it's USB it must be Android-only for the moment.

Any idea the price?

Michael Graves
***@mstvp.com
http://www.mgraves.org
o(713) 861-4005
c(713) 201-1262
sip:***@mjg.onsip.com
skype mjgraves

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: [Sursound] Cellphone tetrahedral

Well, don’t be sure it will work with all Android devices. I have been there before, but It will also work with a computer.
It’s $89 till the end of August, which IS what makes it interesting.
Not sure of the regular price of $179. I need to hear some music recorded with it first….

It’s a good choice (for them) to use a ping pong sample, to show the spatial abilities. A small emitter of mid/high frequency transients, one already knows which direction it will appear next!

Steve

> On 18 Aug 2017, at 16:04, ***@mstvp.com wrote:
>
> Since it's USB it must be Android-only for the moment.
>
> Any idea the price?
>
> Michael Graves
> ***@mstvp.com
> http://www.mgraves.org
> o(713) 861-4005
> c(713) 201-1262
> sip:***@mjg.onsip.com
> skype mjgraves
>

> --------- Original Message --------- Subject: [Sursound] Cellphone tetrahedral
> From: "Steven Boardman" <***@gmail.com>
> Date: 8/18/17 2:36 am
> To: "Surround Sound discussion group" <***@music.vt.edu>
>
> http://yun.twirlingvr.com/index.php/home/Lite/lite-en
>
> They were also going to bring out a stand alone integrated recording
> solution.
> Will download the b-format files and listen in the studio later..
> Looks precarious, and prone to falling out/over/off. Especially as most
> usb ports are on the bottom and not that tight.
>
> Steve
It's probably USB audio compliant. Requires no drivers on any OS. An iphone
or ipad should work with the famous "Camera connection kit" from Apple.
With Android, YMMV, but it should also work, in principle...

> Well, don’t be sure it will work with all Android devices. I have been
> there before, but It will also work with a computer.
> It’s $89 till the end of August, which IS what makes it interesting.
> Not sure of the regular price of $179. I need to hear some music recorded
> with it first….
>
> It’s a good choice (for them) to use a ping pong sample, to show the
> spatial abilities. A small emitter of mid/high frequency transients, one
> already knows which direction it will appear next!
>
> Steve
>

> > On 18 Aug 2017, at 16:04, ***@mstvp.com wrote:
> >
> > Since it's USB it must be Android-only for the moment.
> >
> > Any idea the price?
> >
> > Michael Graves
> > ***@mstvp.com
> > http://www.mgraves.org
> > o(713) 861-4005
> > c(713) 201-1262
> > sip:***@mjg.onsip.com
> > skype mjgraves
> >

> > --------- Original Message --------- Subject: [Sursound] Cellphone
> tetrahedral
> > From: "Steven Boardman" <***@gmail.com>
> > Date: 8/18/17 2:36 am
> > To: "Surround Sound discussion group" <***@music.vt.edu>
> >
> > http://yun.twirlingvr.com/index.php/home/Lite/lite-en
> >
> > They were also going to bring out a stand alone integrated recording
> > solution.
> > Will download the b-format files and listen in the studio later..
> > Looks precarious, and prone to falling out/over/off. Especially as most
> > usb ports are on the bottom and not that tight.
> >
> > Steve

Im about to finally investigate all the newcomers to ambisonics with VR/phone stuff but
this site is very short on detail ie the mic might work with ios but are they doing the app it
would need, can it be plugged straight into a computer - will it need an app there too?

Id like to ask a simple question to this debate about SN3d/Ambix format files in order to
check the pingpong file?
I remember in the early days of ambix a simple explanation of the reordering of fuma wxyz to wyzx and adjusting the W
level by sqrootof2 ? I know there are a few converters around but is this possible without a converter within a DAW - the routing
change is easy but adjusting W by 1.414 - can that be done in reaper or protools?

best

mick ritchie

On 18 Aug 2017, at 18:57, Wim wrote:

> It's probably USB audio compliant. Requires no drivers on any OS. An iphone
> or ipad should work with the famous "Camera connection kit" from Apple.
> With Android, YMMV, but it should also work, in principle...

>> Well, don’t be sure it will work with all Android devices. I have been
>> there before, but It will also work with a computer.
>> It’s $89 till the end of August, which IS what makes it interesting.
>> Not sure of the regular price of $179. I need to hear some music recorded
>> with it first….
>>
>> It’s a good choice (for them) to use a ping pong sample, to show the
>> spatial abilities. A small emitter of mid/high frequency transients, one
>> already knows which direction it will appear next!
>>
>> Steve
>>

>>> On 18 Aug 2017, at 16:04, ***@mstvp.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Since it's USB it must be Android-only for the moment.
>>>
>>> Any idea the price?
>>>
>>> Michael Graves
>>> ***@mstvp.com
>>> http://www.mgraves.org
>>> o(713) 861-4005
>>> c(713) 201-1262

At 13:52 19-08-17, mick ritchie wrote:

>adjusting W by 1.414 - can that be done in reaper or protools?

Yes. It just means changing the level of W by 3dB.

David
Gary Gallagher
2017-08-20 04:48:42 UTC
David,
I was curious about this, I've been experimenting with a
nimbus-halliday setup and I've been turning the W channel down by a
comparative -3db as per my rough understanding of the b spec. So to get a
SN3d/ambix file I just keep all the channels at the same relative level?

thanks
Gary

On Sun., 20 Aug. 2017, 00:19 David Pickett <***@fugato.com> wrote:

> At 13:52 19-08-17, mick ritchie wrote:
>
> >adjusting W by 1.414 - can that be done in reaper or protools?
>
> Yes. It just means changing the level of W by 3dB.
>
> David

Thanks I did remember 3dB but couldnt find it written down as such and ive never dealt with the maths
of bformat or sound beyond the basics

mick

--On 18 August 2017 08:04 -0700 ***@mstvp.com wrote:

> Since it's USB it must be Android-only for the moment.

I have a lightning to microUSB adapter lying on my desk.

Going through their website I find a picture of it connected to a
laptop:

<http://yun.twirlingvr.com/Public/Home/images/lite/1-8.jpg>

Going further (and navigating account creation and login in Chinese) I
found a page with download links for the Capture SDK for Windows, Mac,
Linux, Android, and iOS:

<http://yun-en.twirlingvr.com/index.php/home/index/download.html>

Capture, in case you can't get to that without a login:

<https://cassland.org/images/TWDL.png>

Paul

Paul Hodges
Marc Lavallée
2017-08-21 11:37:36 UTC
I created an account, but the SDKs are not available without a license
(linked to the account I suppose). And the link to the Linux SDK is a
blank page...
--
Marc

umashankar manthravadi
2017-08-21 11:48:02 UTC
I too have created an account, but I think I will pay them 89 dollars and buy one. It looks like a four channel mic preamp plus a-d direct to a USB connector. I should be able to record to a desktop of laptop and use X volver, Brahmavolver or VVencode to produce B format.

I am broke, but this is sacrifice for science.

umashankar

I created an account, but the SDKs are not available without a license
(linked to the account I suppose). And the link to the Linux SDK is a
blank page...
--
Marc

Le Mon, 21 Aug 2017 11:42:47 +0100
Paul Hodges <pwh-***@cassland.org> a écrit:

> --On 18 August 2017 08:04 -0700 ***@mstvp.com wrote:
>
> > Since it's USB it must be Android-only for the moment.
>
> I have a lightning to microUSB adapter lying on my desk.
>
> Going through their website I find a picture of it connected to a
> laptop:
>
> <http://yun.twirlingvr.com/Public/Home/images/lite/1-8.jpg>
>
> Going further (and navigating account creation and login in Chinese) I
> found a page with download links for the Capture SDK for Windows, Mac,
> Linux, Android, and iOS:
>
> <http://yun-en.twirlingvr.com/index.php/home/index/download.html>
>
> Capture, in case you can't get to that without a login:
>
> <https://cassland.org/images/TWDL.png>
>
> Paul

The website does seem to be evolving, with the English pages catching up
on the Chinese pages after a few days. There's now an English pre-order
page on http://yun.twirlingvr.com/index.php/home/Lite/lite-en - odd, as
most of the English pages are on http://yun*-en*.twirlingvr.com

On 21/08/2017 12:37, Marc Lavallée wrote:
> I created an account, but the SDKs are not available without a license
> (linked to the account I suppose). And the link to the Linux SDK is a
> blank page...
> --
> Marc

I ordered one. There was a link to the purchase page on Facebook’s AR/VR/MR group

umashankar

The website does seem to be evolving, with the English pages catching up
on the Chinese pages after a few days. There's now an English pre-order
page on http://yun.twirlingvr.com/index.php/home/Lite/lite-en - odd, as
most of the English pages are on http://yun*-en*.twirlingvr.com

On 21/08/2017 12:37, Marc Lavallée wrote:
> I created an account, but the SDKs are not available without a license
> (linked to the account I suppose). And the link to the Linux SDK is a
> blank page...
> --
> Marc

I asked a few questions too, most have been covered above except :

As we don't have OnePlus phone in hand, our engineer has looked through the
SPEC of the phone and concluded that it should be supported. If it not
works, we will get you refund but you have to cover the shipping fee.
Thanks!

Think i may take a punt too.

Steve

On 22 Aug 2017 01:49, "umashankar manthravadi" <***@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I ordered one. There was a link to the purchase page on Facebook’s
> AR/VR/MR group
>
> umashankar
>
> Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
> Windows 10

I also had an exchange with them and they said an iPhone version is planned
for roughly end of year release.

JJ

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 1:16 AM Steven Boardman <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I asked a few questions too, most have been covered above except :
>
> As we don't have OnePlus phone in hand, our engineer has looked through the
> SPEC of the phone and concluded that it should be supported. If it not
> works, we will get you refund but you have to cover the shipping fee.
> Thanks!
>
> Think i may take a punt too.
>
> Steve
>

> On 22 Aug 2017 01:49, "umashankar manthravadi" <***@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I ordered one. There was a link to the purchase page on Facebook’s
> > AR/VR/MR group
> >
> > umashankar
> >
> > Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
> > Windows 10

web pollenmusicgroup.com
web decibellerecording.com
Since it's sub-$100 I've ordered one.

I also mentioned it to the lead developer of Freeswitch, an open source telecom soft switch. In the past they explored the 3Dio binaural microphone as a means of capturing conference calls with pseudo-surround.

He's ordered one with the dev kit. One day we might be able to have a play with FOA for video conferencing.

Michael Graves
***@mstvp.com
http://www.mgraves.org
o(713) 861-4005
c(713) 201-1262
sip:***@mjg.onsip.com
skype mjgraves

On 18 Aug 2017, at 18:57, Wim wrote:

> It's probably USB audio compliant. Requires no drivers on any OS. An iphone
> or ipad should work with the famous "Camera connection kit" from Apple.
> With Android, YMMV, but it should also work, in principle...

>> Well, don't be sure it will work with all Android devices. I have been
>> there before, but It will also work with a computer.
>> It's $89 till the end of August, which IS what makes it interesting.
>> Not sure of the regular price of $179. I need to hear some music recorded
>> with it first&hellip;.
>>
>> It's a good choice (for them) to use a ping pong sample, to show the
>> spatial abilities. A small emitter of mid/high frequency transients, one
>> already knows which direction it will appear next!
>>
>> Steve
>>

>>> On 18 Aug 2017, at 16:04, ***@mstvp.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Since it's USB it must be Android-only for the moment.
>>>
>>> Any idea the price?
>>>
>>> Michael Graves
>>> ***@mstvp.com
>>> http://www.mgraves.org
>>> o(713) 861-4005
>>> c(713) 201-1262
>>> sip:***@mjg.onsip.com
>>> skype mjgraves
>>>

>>> --------- Original Message --------- Subject: [Sursound] Cellphone
>> tetrahedral
>>> From: "Steven Boardman" <***@gmail.com>
>>> Date: 8/18/17 2:36 am
>>> To: "Surround Sound discussion group" <***@music.vt.edu>
>>>
>>> http://yun.twirlingvr.com/index.php/home/Lite/lite-en
>>>
>>> They were also going to bring out a stand alone integrated recording
>>> solution.
>>> Will download the b-format files and listen in the studio later..
>>> Looks precarious, and prone to falling out/over/off. Especially as most
>>> usb ports are on the bottom and not that tight.
>>>
>>> Steve
>> edit account or options, view archives and so on.

As you say, it's worth a punt.

I asked a few questions and received the following reply:
The reply I got took nearly a week. In part, I think they were changing
the website to address some of my questions.

Gerard Lardner