Call for residency applications
Astrid Fredrickson Midtbø
2016-12-06 16:36:18 UTC
Notam is open to applications for our next residency in studio Sirius,
which has its focus on multichannel works for surround sound. Deadline
is 31. January 2017. Composers and sound artists based in Denmark,
Finland, Faroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland, Sweden, Åland or the Baltic
states: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania may apply to the program, which is
made possible through support from the Nordic Culture Point.The stay can
last up to two months and will be implemented by the end of 2017. Travel
and accommodation costs will be covered, and we can offer salary
depending on length of stay (maximum NOK 20,000 for 2 months). In
addition, we offer an office space, expanded access to our new
24-channel studio for surround and help from our technicians.
http://notam02.no/web/2016/12/call-for-residency-applications/?lang=en
To complete the application form, you will need a curriculum vitae
(PDF), musical examples (MP3 only, max 4 files and max 10 MB all
together) and optional picture files (JPG/PNG, max 2 MB).

Greetings from Notam, Oslo, Norway.
Emanuele Costantini
2016-12-13 21:47:24 UTC
Hello everyone,
I am trying to track a South London Sound art gallery, I think it was in
New Cross or Brockley, which had also an ambisonics system installed.
I cannot find it anymore in my bookmarks and I would like to know if
anyone knows what I am talking about? Is it still active?
Thanks.
Emanuele
Karl Sadler
2016-12-15 14:24:28 UTC
I'd be interested to know about this too. We have an ambisonic octagon
space on Brixton hill in south london. We don't have a gallery though but
the studio has been here twenty years so it may have done something like
that previously.

Karl
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 at 21:47, Emanuele Costantini <***@yahoo.it>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I am trying to track a South London Sound art gallery, I think it was in
> New Cross or Brockley, which had also an ambisonics system installed.
> I cannot find it anymore in my bookmarks and I would like to know if
> anyone knows what I am talking about? Is it still active?
> Thanks.
> Emanuele

I've a feeling someone in or near Brixton had ambisonics, running on a Lake Huron, maybe 20 years ago...?

Dr. Peter Lennox
Senior Lecturer in Perception
College of Arts
University of Derby, UK
e: ***@derby.ac.uk
t: 01332 593155
https://derby.academia.edu/peterlennox
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Peter_Lennox

wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I am trying to track a South London Sound art gallery, I think it was
> in New Cross or Brockley, which had also an ambisonics system installed.
> I cannot find it anymore in my bookmarks and I would like to know if
> anyone knows what I am talking about? Is it still active?
> Thanks.
> Emanuele
> here, edit account or options, view archives and so on.

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic.
If you believe this was sent to you in error, please reply to the sender and let them know.

Key University contacts: http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/
Dave Malham
2016-12-15 17:01:18 UTC
Yep, they did - it was associated with the project that set up the
ill-fated National Centre for Popular Music in Sheffield that the guys here
at York were also associated with, amongst others. I even had one of the
Hurons in my workshop for a while. Although I visited the Brixton studio
and can even picture the inside of it, I'm damned if I can remember the
name of either the studio or the people concerned - sorry guys if you re
reading this but as usual my name blindness has got in the way!

Dave

On 15 December 2016 at 14:29, Peter Lennox <***@derby.ac.uk> wrote:

> I've a feeling someone in or near Brixton had ambisonics, running on a
> Lake Huron, maybe 20 years ago...?
>
> Dr. Peter Lennox
> Senior Lecturer in Perception
> College of Arts
> University of Derby, UK
> e: ***@derby.ac.uk
> t: 01332 593155
> https://derby.academia.edu/peterlennox
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Peter_Lennox

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'
Hi there. It was built by an acoustics company lead by Paul Gillieron. I
share the office with them in the building still and create ambisonic
content. The system has been overhauled recently with a new d&b ambisonic
sound system. It is available to hire.

Thanks

Karl

--On 15 December 2016 17:01 +0000 Dave Malham <***@york.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Although I visited the Brixton studio
> and can even picture the inside of it, I'm damned if I can remember
> the name of either the studio or the people concerned

Here's their brochure:
<http://www.surroundav.org/surround.AV.brochureMay2004.pdf>

Paul

Paul Hodges
Peter Lennox
2016-12-15 21:28:25 UTC
yep, that was it - Paul Gillieron. They acquired the Huron to furnish the National Car Park for Popular Music with a pre-decoded set of speaker feeds, so that any idiot could press "play". At the time, I couldn't understand why anyone would build a facility costing millions, then assume it would have no resident sound engineer capable of actually operating therein. Years later, I just sort of understand that that is what people do. Nevertheless, it still seems bonkers to me that anyone would assume that you can compose/produce in one space, and expect it to fit another.

Having said that, the NCPM had the most improbable acoustics (circular, dome ceiling, plenty of glass and stainless steel, no soft furnishings - no door, plenty of spill from various other areas containing plenty of speakers)...

The place was clearly specified and designed by deaf persons.

I'm sure with some time and ingenuity I could come up with a worse acoustic - but it would be a lot of work, and why bother?

There are plenty of people who don't understand spatial sound, even though they live in it every day. Fair enough. But the fact that they don't even know that there actually is something they don't understand - inexcusable. See: Dunning Kruger effect.

Dr. Peter Lennox
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Senior Lecturer in Perception
College of Arts
University of Derby

> and can even picture the inside of it, I'm damned if I can remember
> the name of either the studio or the people concerned

Here's their brochure:
<http://www.surroundav.org/surround.AV.brochureMay2004.pdf>

Paul

--
Paul Hodges

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic.
If you believe this was sent to you in error, please reply to the sender and let them know.

Key University contacts: http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/
Fascinating stuff :

"The phenomenon was first observed in a series of experiments by David
Dunning <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dunning> and Justin Kruger
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Justin_Kruger&action=edit&redlink=1>
of
the department of psychology at Cornell University
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_University> in 1999.[1]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect#cite_note-Kruger-1>
[2]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect#cite_note-psymq-2>
The
study was inspired by the case of McArthur Wheeler, a man who robbed two
banks after covering his face with lemon
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon> juice in the mistaken belief that,
because lemon juice is usable as invisible ink
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_ink>, it would prevent his face
from being recorded on surveillance cameras
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-circuit_television>"

On 15 December 2016 at 21:28, Peter Lennox <***@derby.ac.uk> wrote:

> yep, that was it - Paul Gillieron. They acquired the Huron to furnish the
> National Car Park for Popular Music with a pre-decoded set of speaker
> feeds, so that any idiot could press "play". At the time, I couldn't
> understand why anyone would build a facility costing millions, then assume
> it would have no resident sound engineer capable of actually operating
> therein. Years later, I just sort of understand that that is what people
> do. Nevertheless, it still seems bonkers to me that anyone would assume
> that you can compose/produce in one space, and expect it to fit another.
>
> Having said that, the NCPM had the most improbable acoustics (circular,
> dome ceiling, plenty of glass and stainless steel, no soft furnishings - no
> door, plenty of spill from various other areas containing plenty of
> speakers)...
>
> The place was clearly specified and designed by deaf persons.
>
> I'm sure with some time and ingenuity I could come up with a worse
> acoustic - but it would be a lot of work, and why bother?
>

> There are plenty of people who don't understand spatial sound, even though
> they live in it every day. Fair enough. But the fact that they don't even
> know that there actually is something they don't understand - inexcusable.
> See: Dunning Kruger effect.
>

> Dr. Peter Lennox
> Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
> Senior Lecturer in Perception
> College of Arts
> University of Derby
>
> Tel: 01332 593155
> ________________________________

Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL

"The phenomenon was first observed in a series of experiments by David
Dunning <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dunning> and Justin Kruger
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Justin_Kruger&action=edit&redlink=1>
of
the department of psychology at Cornell University
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_University> in 1999.[1]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect#cite_note-Kruger-1>
[2]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect#cite_note-psymq-2>
The
study was inspired by the case of McArthur Wheeler, a man who robbed two
banks after covering his face with lemon
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon> juice in the mistaken belief that,
because lemon juice is usable as invisible ink
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_ink>, it would prevent his face
from being recorded on surveillance cameras
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-circuit_television>"

On 15 December 2016 at 21:28, Peter Lennox <***@derby.ac.uk> wrote:

> yep, that was it - Paul Gillieron. They acquired the Huron to furnish the
> National Car Park for Popular Music with a pre-decoded set of speaker
> feeds, so that any idiot could press "play". At the time, I couldn't
> understand why anyone would build a facility costing millions, then assume
> it would have no resident sound engineer capable of actually operating
> therein. Years later, I just sort of understand that that is what people
> do. Nevertheless, it still seems bonkers to me that anyone would assume
> that you can compose/produce in one space, and expect it to fit another.
>
> Having said that, the NCPM had the most improbable acoustics (circular,
> dome ceiling, plenty of glass and stainless steel, no soft furnishings - no
> door, plenty of spill from various other areas containing plenty of
> speakers)...
>
> The place was clearly specified and designed by deaf persons.
>
> I'm sure with some time and ingenuity I could come up with a worse
> acoustic - but it would be a lot of work, and why bother?
>

> There are plenty of people who don't understand spatial sound, even though
> they live in it every day. Fair enough. But the fact that they don't even
> know that there actually is something they don't understand - inexcusable.
> See: Dunning Kruger effect.
>

> Dr. Peter Lennox
> Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
> Senior Lecturer in Perception
> College of Arts
> University of Derby
>
> Tel: 01332 593155
> ________________________________

Add to that a space for performance with no dressing rooms, an Ambisonic
rig where the architect didn't like the position of the lower speakers and
had them raised up to almost ear height without first talking to any of the
sound guys, an exhibition space that was dressed by a company who
specialised in......stage sets....you know, the ones where you don't have
to worry about what things look like when people are close up....Argh, so
many bad memories have been drug up by this thread :-( It could have
been brilliant as the original concept was excellent but, ah well.....

Dave

PS for those of you off-shore, Peter's comment about the "National Car Park
for Popular Music" refers to the fact the UK's largest chain of private car
parks is called National Car Parks or NCP. Unfortunately, somebody (no
names, no pack drill) spotted the close resemblance to NCPM and once the
words were said, they stuck.....

On 15 December 2016 at 21:28, Peter Lennox <***@derby.ac.uk> wrote:

> yep, that was it - Paul Gillieron. They acquired the Huron to furnish the
> National Car Park for Popular Music with a pre-decoded set of speaker
> feeds, so that any idiot could press "play". At the time, I couldn't
> understand why anyone would build a facility costing millions, then assume
> it would have no resident sound engineer capable of actually operating
> therein. Years later, I just sort of understand that that is what people
> do. Nevertheless, it still seems bonkers to me that anyone would assume
> that you can compose/produce in one space, and expect it to fit another.
>
> Having said that, the NCPM had the most improbable acoustics (circular,
> dome ceiling, plenty of glass and stainless steel, no soft furnishings - no
> door, plenty of spill from various other areas containing plenty of
> speakers)...
>
> The place was clearly specified and designed by deaf persons.
>
> I'm sure with some time and ingenuity I could come up with a worse
> acoustic - but it would be a lot of work, and why bother?
>

> There are plenty of people who don't understand spatial sound, even though
> they live in it every day. Fair enough. But the fact that they don't even
> know that there actually is something they don't understand - inexcusable.
> See: Dunning Kruger effect.
>

> Dr. Peter Lennox
> Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
> Senior Lecturer in Perception
> College of Arts
> University of Derby
>
> Tel: 01332 593155
> ________________________________

Never visited the building in Sheffield, sounds like a massive flop, I know
Paul had a hard time trying to get people to listen to him on that one.
Anyhow that brochure looks pretty dated, for those wanting to find out a
bit more, please visit these websites.
www.artspacestudio.co.uk studio hire
http://www.gsacoustics.org/ acoustic design
And my website www.obeliskmusic.com where I create ambisonic content for