realtime 5.1 streaming over hdmi ?
Augustine Leudar
2018-03-06 13:36:28 UTC
Hi there,
Does anyone know a way of streaming 5.1 in realtime over HDMI ?

--
Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Well, on macOS, if you connect your computer via HDMI to a surround receiver/processor, you'll have the option of using that device as an audio interface.

Or do you mean something else?

- Daniel

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:36:28 +0000
From: Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com>
To: Surround Sound discussion group <***@music.vt.edu>
Subject: [Sursound] realtime 5.1 streaming over hdmi ?

Does anyone know a way of streaming 5.1 in realtime over HDMI ?
Augustine Leudar
2018-03-06 17:40:13 UTC
Thanks Daniel that's exactly what I'm hoping for on this system

On Tuesday, 6 March 2018, Courville, Daniel <***@uqam.ca>
wrote:

> Well, on macOS, if you connect your computer via HDMI to a surround
> receiver/processor, you'll have the option of using that device as an audio
> interface.
>
> Or do you mean something else?
>
> - Daniel
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:36:28 +0000
> From: Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com>
> To: Surround Sound discussion group <***@music.vt.edu>
> Subject: [Sursound] realtime 5.1 streaming over hdmi ?
>
> Does anyone know a way of streaming 5.1 in realtime over HDMI ?

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
There are HDMI audio inserters
<https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13347&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8tGc-qfY2QIVjVmGCh0NGwIrEAQYASABEgKBzvD_BwE>
that
will embed audio (in this case Toslink for for surround). and de-embedders
if you need to get audio out of an HDMI stream. Just FYI, going straight
from the computer's easier.

jim

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Thanks Daniel that's exactly what I'm hoping for on this system
>
> On Tuesday, 6 March 2018, Courville, Daniel <***@uqam.ca>
> wrote:
>
> > Well, on macOS, if you connect your computer via HDMI to a surround
> > receiver/processor, you'll have the option of using that device as an
> audio
> > interface.
> >
> > Or do you mean something else?
> >
> > - Daniel
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:36:28 +0000
> > From: Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com>
> > To: Surround Sound discussion group <***@music.vt.edu>
> > Subject: [Sursound] realtime 5.1 streaming over hdmi ?
> >
> > Does anyone know a way of streaming 5.1 in realtime over HDMI ?

> > edit account or options, view archives and so on.
> >

> --
> Dr. Augustine Leudar
> Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
> Company Number : NI635217
> Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
> Belfast BT88LL

Jim Moses
Technical Director/Lecturer
Brown University Music Department and M.E.M.E. (Multimedia and Electronic
Music Experiments)
Hi Jim,
Tell me about it - unfortunately this system has no analogue ins for the
surround sound only HDMI, Coax and Optical . It also does a lot of weird
esoteric encoding stuff in the box which I dont really wan tit to do. I am
not even sure if the box needs to receive 5.1 encoded in a certain way to
make it ieven easier I am working remotely so cant actually get my hands on
it but give instructions to non audio colleagues.I will try and get them to
try the HDMI thing tomorrow turning it into an interface,
all the best
Gus

On 6 March 2018 at 18:30, jim moses <***@brown.edu> wrote:

> There are HDMI audio inserters
> <https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13347&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8tGc-
> qfY2QIVjVmGCh0NGwIrEAQYASABEgKBzvD_BwE>
> that
> will embed audio (in this case Toslink for for surround). and de-embedders
> if you need to get audio out of an HDMI stream. Just FYI, going straight
> from the computer's easier.
>
> jim
>
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Augustine Leudar <
> ***@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > Thanks Daniel that's exactly what I'm hoping for on this system
> >
> > On Tuesday, 6 March 2018, Courville, Daniel <***@uqam.ca>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Well, on macOS, if you connect your computer via HDMI to a surround
> > > receiver/processor, you'll have the option of using that device as an
> > audio
> > > interface.
> > >
> > > Or do you mean something else?
> > >
> > > - Daniel
> > >
> > > Message: 1
> > > Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:36:28 +0000
> > > From: Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com>
> > > To: Surround Sound discussion group <***@music.vt.edu>
> > > Subject: [Sursound] realtime 5.1 streaming over hdmi ?
> > >
> > > Does anyone know a way of streaming 5.1 in realtime over HDMI ?

> here,
> > > edit account or options, view archives and so on.
> > >

> > --
> > Dr. Augustine Leudar
> > Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
> > Company Number : NI635217
> > Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
> > Belfast BT88LL
> > edit account or options, view archives and so on.
> >

> --
> Jim Moses
> Technical Director/Lecturer
> Brown University Music Department and M.E.M.E. (Multimedia and Electronic
> Music Experiments)

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
The Mac HDMI out sounds like your best bet. You may need to work with the
audio-midi-setup app to make it work (seeting the # of channels and then
assignments in 'configure speakers').

jim

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 3:33 PM, Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jim,
> Tell me about it - unfortunately this system has no analogue ins for the
> surround sound only HDMI, Coax and Optical . It also does a lot of weird
> esoteric encoding stuff in the box which I dont really wan tit to do. I am
> not even sure if the box needs to receive 5.1 encoded in a certain way to
> make it ieven easier I am working remotely so cant actually get my hands on
> it but give instructions to non audio colleagues.I will try and get them to
> try the HDMI thing tomorrow turning it into an interface,
> all the best
> Gus
>
> On 6 March 2018 at 18:30, jim moses <***@brown.edu> wrote:
>
> > There are HDMI audio inserters
> > <https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13347&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8tGc-
> > qfY2QIVjVmGCh0NGwIrEAQYASABEgKBzvD_BwE>
> > that
> > will embed audio (in this case Toslink for for surround). and
> de-embedders
> > if you need to get audio out of an HDMI stream. Just FYI, going straight
> > from the computer's easier.
> >
> > jim
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Augustine Leudar <
> > ***@gmail.com
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Daniel that's exactly what I'm hoping for on this system

> > > audio

> > here,
> > > >

> > > --
> > > Dr. Augustine Leudar
> > > Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
> > > Company Number : NI635217
> > > Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
> > > Belfast BT88LL
> here,
> > > edit account or options, view archives and so on.
> > >

> > --
> > Jim Moses
> > Technical Director/Lecturer
> > Brown University Music Department and M.E.M.E. (Multimedia and Electronic
> > Music Experiments)
> > edit account or options, view archives and so on.
> >

> --
> Dr. Augustine Leudar
> Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
> Company Number : NI635217
> Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
> Belfast BT88LL

Jim Moses
Technical Director/Lecturer
Brown University Music Department and M.E.M.E. (Multimedia and Electronic
Music Experiments)
Yes we got it working immediately on the Mac - one channel on speaker.bBut
obviously there's an extra cist involved for client if they have to buy a
Mac! Its a longterm install.

It will look something like that:

http://www.radio.uqam.ca/ambisonic/images/hdmi_1.png

http://www.radio.uqam.ca/ambisonic/images/hdmi_2.png
Augustine Leudar
2018-03-06 20:34:24 UTC
Hi Daniel,
Ill be using max so Ill just look at the io mappin gin there. This is a
hifi box and I have a feeling though this box requires an encoded feed (as
in AC3 etc) but tomorrow I will find out if it can behave liek an interface
cheers

On 6 March 2018 at 19:09, Courville, Daniel <***@uqam.ca>
wrote:

> It will look something like that:
>
> http://www.radio.uqam.ca/ambisonic/images/hdmi_1.png
>

> http://www.radio.uqam.ca/ambisonic/images/hdmi_2.png

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
Hi there ,
Thanks Daniel - yes indee dpluging it in to a mac it just worked as an 8
channel interface - I believe it uses LPCM. So I had 8 channels showing up
in the i/o routing in max. However when I pluged the PC in it only showed
up in stereo. Ive tried setting the "configuration" in the windows playback
devices section to 7.1 / 5.1 etc but it only seems to show up two channels
left and right in th ePC - any idea how to get around this ? My google fu
has proven weak on this one,
cheers
Gus

has proven weak on this one,
Augustine Leudar
2018-03-07 17:32:19 UTC
Thanls yeah - I saw that but its a different problem - the 7.1 option is
showing up in windows but only 2 show up in max

On 7 March 2018 at 17:06, Courville, Daniel <***@uqam.ca>
wrote:

> https://www.eightforums.com/threads/digital-audio-hdmi-
> only-has-2-channel-option.6655/
>
> Le 18-03-07 12:00, Sursound au nom de sursound-***@music.vt.edu a
> écrit :
>
> However when I pluged the PC in it only showed
> up in stereo. Ive tried setting the "configuration" in the windows
> playback
> devices section to 7.1 / 5.1 etc but it only seems to show up two
> channels
> left and right in th ePC - any idea how to get around this ? My google
> fu
> has proven weak on this one,

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
This might depend on your PCs graphic card, too. My 2012 MacBookPro supports at least eight via HDMI; my late 2011 iMac only two.

Best regards,

Felix Andriessens

Augustine Leudar
2018-03-08 12:53:45 UTC
Any idea if a Mac min would do that too ?

On Thursday, 8 March 2018, Felix Andriessens <***@andriessens.de> wrote:

> This might depend on your PCs graphic card, too. My 2012 MacBookPro
> supports at least eight via HDMI; my late 2011 iMac only two.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Felix Andriessens
>

> > Le 18-03-07 12:00, Sursound au nom de sursound-***@music.vt.edu a
> écrit :
> >
> > However when I pluged the PC in it only showed
> > up in stereo. Ive tried setting the "configuration" in the windows
> playback
> > devices section to 7.1 / 5.1 etc but it only seems to show up two
> channels
> > left and right in th ePC - any idea how to get around this ? My
> google fu
> > has proven weak on this one,

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
My macmini 2012 does 8 channels of hdmi with no problems - either out of HDMI port or with a converter on the display port out.
Ive used it for 5.1 7.1 and some ambi outputting without problems.

The av box i have is a pioneer lx82 and has to be set correct - direct pcm - i think mine has to be set before the mac will
even recognise it. My 2010 MBP will also do it and that has no thunderbolt on its display port which surprised me.

Have it set up so that programs load and start on boot up or by timer and for backup - clone the whole drive to a usb drive
that can be booted from if the mac has a dicky fit

mick

Augustine Leudar
2018-03-08 14:40:13 UTC
Brilliant Mick,
Thats what I was hoping to hear - thanks for your input !
best
Gus

On 8 March 2018 at 14:18, mick ritchie <***@superorg.com> wrote:

> My macmini 2012 does 8 channels of hdmi with no problems - either out of
> HDMI port or with a converter on the display port out.
> Ive used it for 5.1 7.1 and some ambi outputting without problems.
>
> The av box i have is a pioneer lx82 and has to be set correct - direct pcm
> - i think mine has to be set before the mac will
> even recognise it. My 2010 MBP will also do it and that has no
> thunderbolt on its display port which surprised me.
>
> Have it set up so that programs load and start on boot up or by timer and
> for backup - clone the whole drive to a usb drive
> that can be booted from if the mac has a dicky fit
>
> mick
>

> On 8 Mar 2018, at 12:53, Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Any idea if a Mac min would do that too ?
> >
> > On Thursday, 8 March 2018, Felix Andriessens <***@andriessens.de>
> wrote:
> >

> >> This might depend on your PCs graphic card, too. My 2012 MacBookPro
> >> supports at least eight via HDMI; my late 2011 iMac only two.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Felix Andriessens

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
Hi,

If it is a Surround Receiver with HDMI in, it probably expects the signals to be the order
1 Left
2 Right
3 Centre
4 LFE
5 L Surround
6 R Surround

It should take uncompressed audio.

You possibly need to find the right setting on the receiver. It is sometimes described as Direct.

Sounds like a problem with Windows.

Ciao,

Dave Hunt

Augustine Leudar
2018-03-07 20:46:06 UTC
yes LPCM is uncompressed up to 8 channels. As I say in OsX - its easy just
plug and play - from max msp I can send discrete signals to discrete
signals no problem. I think it is indeed a problem with windows 10 (suprise
suprise) - I think we'll just use a mac

On 7 March 2018 at 19:56, Dave Hunt <***@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If it is a Surround Receiver with HDMI in, it probably expects the signals
> to be the order
> 1 Left
> 2 Right
> 3 Centre
> 4 LFE
> 5 L Surround
> 6 R Surround
>
> It should take uncompressed audio.
>
> You possibly need to find the right setting on the receiver. It is
> sometimes described as Direct.
>
> Sounds like a problem with Windows.
>
> Ciao,
>
> Dave Hunt
>

> On 7 Mar 2018, at 17:00, sursound-***@music.vt.edu wrote:
>

> > From: Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Sursound] realtime 5.1 streaming over hdmi ?
> > Date: 7 March 2018 13:56:32 GMT
> > To: Surround Sound discussion group <***@music.vt.edu>
> >

> > Hi there ,
> > Thanks Daniel - yes indee dpluging it in to a mac it just worked as an 8
> > channel interface - I believe it uses LPCM. So I had 8 channels showing
> up
> > in the i/o routing in max. However when I pluged the PC in it only showed
> > up in stereo. Ive tried setting the "configuration" in the windows
> playback
> > devices section to 7.1 / 5.1 etc but it only seems to show up two
> channels
> > left and right in th ePC - any idea how to get around this ? My google fu
> > has proven weak on this one,
> > cheers
> > Gus

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
You can also use Linux…
(maybe it’s not even worth mentioning)

Marc

> On Mar 7, 2018, at 3:46 PM, Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> yes LPCM is uncompressed up to 8 channels. As I say in OsX - its easy just
> plug and play - from max msp I can send discrete signals to discrete
> signals no problem. I think it is indeed a problem with windows 10 (suprise
> suprise) - I think we'll just use a mac
>
> On 7 March 2018 at 19:56, Dave Hunt <***@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If it is a Surround Receiver with HDMI in, it probably expects the signals
>> to be the order
>> 1 Left
>> 2 Right
>> 3 Centre
>> 4 LFE
>> 5 L Surround
>> 6 R Surround
>>
>> It should take uncompressed audio.
>>
>> You possibly need to find the right setting on the receiver. It is
>> sometimes described as Direct.
>>
>> Sounds like a problem with Windows.
>>
>> Ciao,
>>
>> Dave Hunt
>>

>> On 7 Mar 2018, at 17:00, sursound-***@music.vt.edu wrote:
>>

>>> From: Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [Sursound] realtime 5.1 streaming over hdmi ?
>>> Date: 7 March 2018 13:56:32 GMT
>>> To: Surround Sound discussion group <***@music.vt.edu>
>>>

>>> Hi there ,
>>> Thanks Daniel - yes indee dpluging it in to a mac it just worked as an 8
>>> channel interface - I believe it uses LPCM. So I had 8 channels showing
>> up
>>> in the i/o routing in max. However when I pluged the PC in it only showed
>>> up in stereo. Ive tried setting the "configuration" in the windows
>> playback
>>> devices section to 7.1 / 5.1 etc but it only seems to show up two
>> channels
>>> left and right in th ePC - any idea how to get around this ? My google fu
>>> has proven weak on this one,
>>> cheers
>>> Gus

>> edit account or options, view archives and so on.
>>

> --
> Dr. Augustine Leudar
> Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
> Company Number : NI635217
> Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
> Belfast BT88LL
Hi Marc-
Would love to use Linux - so stable - but this is a max Msp project and a
lot of the externals used do not work with Pure data nore do I consider
wine or a hackintosh sufficiently stable

On 7 March 2018 at 20:52, Marc Lavallée <***@hacklava.net> wrote:

> You can also use Linux…
> (maybe it’s not even worth mentioning)
> —
> Marc
>
> > On Mar 7, 2018, at 3:46 PM, Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > yes LPCM is uncompressed up to 8 channels. As I say in OsX - its easy
> just
> > plug and play - from max msp I can send discrete signals to discrete
> > signals no problem. I think it is indeed a problem with windows 10
> (suprise
> > suprise) - I think we'll just use a mac
> >
> > On 7 March 2018 at 19:56, Dave Hunt <***@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> If it is a Surround Receiver with HDMI in, it probably expects the
> signals
> >> to be the order
> >> 1 Left
> >> 2 Right
> >> 3 Centre
> >> 4 LFE
> >> 5 L Surround
> >> 6 R Surround
> >>
> >> It should take uncompressed audio.
> >>
> >> You possibly need to find the right setting on the receiver. It is
> >> sometimes described as Direct.
> >>
> >> Sounds like a problem with Windows.
> >>
> >> Ciao,
> >>
> >> Dave Hunt

> 8
> >> up
> showed
> >> playback
> >> channels
> fu

> >> edit account or options, view archives and so on.
> >>

> > --
> > Dr. Augustine Leudar
> > Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
> > Company Number : NI635217
> > Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
> > Belfast BT88LL

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 20:53:49 +0000
Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Marc-
> Would love to use Linux - so stable - but this is a max Msp project
> and a lot of the externals used do not work with Pure data nore do I
> consider wine or a hackintosh sufficiently stable

I misread your previous message.

<rant>
Yes, very sadly, Max/MSP is a software lock-in with co-dependencies on
hardware and operating system lock-ins. With added externals, the
lock-in problem gets even worse. It's easy to understand, but so
difficult to explain to most sound artists...
</rant>
--
Marc

Courville, Daniel
2018-03-08 17:20:53 UTC
A 2012 Mac mini will work fine. The screenshots I posted two days ago are from a Mac mini with OS 10.12.6.

It's connected to Yamaha CX-A5100 and no tweaks were needed on the Yamaha for the Mac to see it or to enable eight LPCM channels via HDMI.

Some apps, like VLC, can either send the audio to the Yamaha as LPCM (VLC decodes the Dolby or DTS track) or as bitstream (the Yamaha will do the decoding).

I also used TwistedWave, Reaper and Pro Tools connected to the Yamaha via HDMI. That's in classroom/projection room. Very reliable.

Message: 8
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 12:53:45 +0000
From: Augustine Leudar <***@gmail.com>
To: Surround Sound discussion group <***@music.vt.edu>