brahma revived
umashankar manthravadi
2017-05-08 01:55:23 UTC
After a six month hiatus, I am restarting the manufacture of Brahma microphones. The first is Brahma-in-zoom. I should have a few ready, but generally I will make on order, Later this year, I will build redesigned standalone Brahma microphones, including second order microphones. I plan to keep things simple; money through bank transfer or paypal, and a web page with photographs and details of the new designs.

umashankar

I forgot to mention I will carry a second order microphone to Parma where I am visiting Angelo Farina and his department from June 19 to 21st.

umashankar

umashankar manthravadi wrote:

>I forgot to mention I will carry a second order microphone to Parma where I am visiting Angelo Farina and his department from June 19 to 21st.
>
>umashankar

Very interesting for VR audio capture - but I suppose they/we would need
way more information. (Even some basic info seems to miss.)

There is currently no "native" HOA mike available - with the exception
of the (expensive) eigenmike.

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~nando/publications/sphear.pdf

Is this related somehow? (At least in some "same field" sense I guess...)

Best,

Stefan

umashankar manthravadi
2017-05-08 14:12:36 UTC
This second order microphone will not be expensive. It is only eight channels rather than nine, but I believe this is an acceptable compromise. I will use the Zoom F8 to record. I am visiting Parma because Angelo intends developing a calibration system which will output nine channels after processing.

You can imagine a tetrahedron surrounded (on the horizontal plane) by four capsules at 0, 90,180 and 270 degrees. That is basically the array design. I believe the sphear design is different.

umashankar

>I forgot to mention I will carry a second order microphone to Parma where I am visiting Angelo Farina and his department from June 19 to 21st.
>
>umashankar

Very interesting for VR audio capture - but I suppose they/we would need
way more information. (Even some basic info seems to miss.)

There is currently no "native" HOA mike available - with the exception
of the (expensive) eigenmike.

umash
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~nando/publications/sphear.pdf

Is this related somehow? (At least in some "same field" sense I guess...)

Best,

Stefan

>Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Very nice - gives easily 2nd order in the plane.

It should be possible to apply some (moderate) upsampling strategies to
receive full 2nd order... Angelo Farina seems to be being able to think
above 4 harmonics and so you two will (probably) succeed. O:-)

> I believe the sphear design is different.

Yes, I re-read the cited paper - and it very much seems you are right.

Best regards and: Good luck in this!

Stefan Schreiber
2017-05-08 15:02:33 UTC
Stefan Schreiber wrote:

> umashankar manthravadi wrote:
>
>> This second order microphone will not be expensive. It is only eight
>> channels rather than nine, but I believe this is an acceptable
>> compromise. I will use the Zoom F8 to record. I am visiting Parma
>> because Angelo intends developing a calibration system which will
>> output nine channels after processing.
>>
>> You can imagine a tetrahedron surrounded (on the horizontal plane) by
>> four capsules at 0, 90,180 and 270 degrees. That is basically the
>> array design.
>>
> Very nice - gives easily 2nd order in the plane.
>
> It should be possible to apply some (moderate) upsampling strategies
> to receive full 2nd order... Angelo Farina seems to be being able to
> think above 4 harmonics and so you two will (probably) succeed. O:-)

Just: "... to be able to..." Sorry!

St.