Big Pre-amps?
Len Moskowitz
2018-06-05 12:03:53 UTC
We found Antelope Audio's (https://en.antelopeaudio.com) MP32 32-channel
mic pre-amp, and its Orion and Goliath interfaces.

The interfaces come in USB, Thunderbolt and HDX versions, and are
expandable via MADI. 64 channels is do-able.

Has anyone used these? Any comments on sound quality and software
stability?

Len Moskowitz (***@panix.com)
Core Sound LLC
www.core-sound.com
Home of OctoMic and TetraMic

-----

> A customer is consider using a few OctoMics simultaneously, recording
> to computer.

> Each OctoMic requires 8 channels of pre-amps.
>

> They'll need up to 72 channels.
>

> Ideally, the pre-amps should have digitally-set and gangable trims.
>

> Any suggestions regarding pre-amps?

Hi Len,
get 2x Merging Horus, its audio quality is extremely good and its
affordable:
http://www.merging.com/products/networked-audio
You can do up to 96 channels of preamp and 96 channels of AD conversion
in just 4 rack units.
Connect them via a switch to a computer, it replaces a soundcard plushas
a headphone output on board.

The ideal companion is Merging Pyramix workstation
http://www.merging.com/products/pyramix/
http://www.merging.com/products/pyramix/masscore-native
It can record up to 96 track at 192 kHz, or 64 channels at 384 kHz, DXD,
DSD256

Cheers,
Othmar Eichinger

--
TON Eichinger Professional Sound Systems
Brigitta Eichinger e.U.

Am 04.06.2018 um 17:59 schrieb Len Moskowitz:
> A customer is consider using a few OctoMics simultaneously, recording
> to computer.
> Each OctoMic requires 8 channels of pre-amps.
> They'll need up to 72 channels.
> Ideally, the pre-amps should have digitally-set and gangable trims.
> Any suggestions regarding pre-amps?
> Len Moskowitz (***@core-sound.com)
> Core Sound LLC
> www.core-sound.com
> Home of TetraMic and OctoMic
> here, edit account or options, view archives and so on.

Hi Len,
get 2x *Merging Horus*, its audio quality is extremely good and its
affordable:
http://www.merging.com/products/networked-audio
You can do up to *96 channels of preamp and 96 channels of AD conversion
in just 4 rack units*.
Connect them via a switch to a computer, it replaces a soundcard plushas
a headphone output on board.

The ideal companion is Merging Pyramix workstation
http://www.merging.com/products/pyramix/
http://www.merging.com/products/pyramix/masscore-native
It can record up to *96 track at 192 kHz*, or 64 channels at 384 kHz,
DXD, DSD256

Cheers,
Othmar Eichinger

--
TON Eichinger Professional Sound Systems
Brigitta Eichinger e.U.
Hellgasse 3 & 4 . A-1160 Wien . Austria
Tel: +43 1 4847400-0 . Fax: + 43 1 4847400-22
http://ton-eichinger.at . ***@ton-eichinger.at
Datenschutzerklärung http://ton-eichinger.at/j/privacy

Am 04.06.2018 um 17:59 schrieb Len Moskowitz:
> A customer is consider using a few OctoMics simultaneously, recording
> to computer.
>
> Each OctoMic requires 8 channels of pre-amps.
>
> They'll need up to 72 channels.
>
> Ideally, the pre-amps should have digitally-set and gangable trims.
>
> Any suggestions regarding pre-amps?
>
> Len Moskowitz (***@core-sound.com)
> Core Sound LLC
> www.core-sound.com
> Home of TetraMic and OctoMic
> here, edit account or options, view archives and so on.

Ive used the Orion - there was some driver issues - there was some setup
thing that required the an internet connection as well which proved a pain
as the machine was on site and not online

On 5 June 2018 at 13:03, Len Moskowitz <***@optonline.net> wrote:

> We found Antelope Audio's (https://en.antelopeaudio.com) MP32 32-channel
> mic pre-amp, and its Orion and Goliath interfaces.
>
> The interfaces come in USB, Thunderbolt and HDX versions, and are
> expandable via MADI. 64 channels is do-able.
>

> Has anyone used these? Any comments on sound quality and software
> stability?
>

> Len Moskowitz (***@panix.com)
> Core Sound LLC
> www.core-sound.com
> Home of OctoMic and TetraMic
>

> -----
>

> A customer is consider using a few OctoMics simultaneously, recording to
>> computer.
>>

> Each OctoMic requires 8 channels of pre-amps.
>>

> They'll need up to 72 channels.
>>

> Ideally, the pre-amps should have digitally-set and gangable trims.
>>

> Any suggestions regarding pre-amps?

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,
Belfast BT88LL
www.magikdoor.net
+44(0)7555784775
Hi!

I would look into an AVB-solution from Motu, they have a 2U 16-channel rack unit with digitally controlled preamps, a couple of those and a AVB-switch would probably be a cost effective solution. I haven’t used the new motu preamps but the AVB racks DAC’s sound great for price.

Best,
/Marcus

.Marcus Wrangö

.Composer- www.marcuswrango.com
.Tech manager - www.audiorama.se

Sent from my phone

> 5 juni 2018 kl. 15:41 skrev Jörn Nettingsmeier <***@stackingdwarves.net>:
>
>> On 06/04/2018 05:59 PM, Len Moskowitz wrote:
>> A customer is consider using a few OctoMics simultaneously, recording to computer.
>> Each OctoMic requires 8 channels of pre-amps.
>> They'll need up to 72 channels.
>> Ideally, the pre-amps should have digitally-set and gangable trims.
>
> Have heard good things about the Horus, too, but never used it. A nice alternative (possibly a bit mor affordable) would be three DirectOut Andiamo MC feeding a dual MADI system, or two and a Mictasy.
>
> Btw, nice usage of the word "few" there. Classy. A quick calculation tells me you mean "seven or so". That's the number of SM58s I use on a good day, and I'm very much intrigued if slightly scared thinking of your usecase :-D
>

> --
> Jörn Nettingsmeier
> Tuinbouwstraat 180, 1097 ZB Amsterdam, Nederland
> Tel. +49 177 7937487
>
> Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
> http://stackingdwarves.net
They use these at MCO 2 and 3 in the Netherlands. Many of the Metropole Orkest albums that you hear are through them after a Neve VR legend.

Ben

:)
ben
On Jun 5, 2018, 8:09 AM -0400, Len Moskowitz <***@optonline.net>, wrote:
> We found Antelope Audio's (https://en.antelopeaudio.com) MP32 32-channel
> mic pre-amp, and its Orion and Goliath interfaces.
>
> The interfaces come in USB, Thunderbolt and HDX versions, and are
> expandable via MADI. 64 channels is do-able.
>

> Has anyone used these? Any comments on sound quality and software
> stability?
>

> Len Moskowitz (***@panix.com)
> Core Sound LLC
> www.core-sound.com
> Home of OctoMic and TetraMic
>

> -----
>

> > A customer is consider using a few OctoMics simultaneously, recording
> > to computer.
>
> > Each OctoMic requires 8 channels of pre-amps.
> >

> > They'll need up to 72 channels.
> >

> > Ideally, the pre-amps should have digitally-set and gangable trims.
> >

> > Any suggestions regarding pre-amps?

Hi, Len!

From personal experience, for quality and unbeatable s/n it’s hard to beat Metric Halo’s ULN8.
And with the upcoming 3D revision (expected in a couple of weeks), it’ll be child’s play to set up multiple units to be seen as one giant system by the computer.
All with digital gain-setting, etc, naturally.
But it’s a rather pricey solution if you need 9 of those… And not super portable.
But perhaps with 9 Octomics, portability isn’t a primary issue to begin with.

Regards,

Girilal Baars

www.girilal.org
Börjegatan 43A, 752 29 Uppsala, Sweden
+46-737-16 38 27, +46-18-55 64 48

At 15:41 05-06-18, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

>On 06/04/2018 05:59 PM, Len Moskowitz wrote:
>>A customer is consider using a few OctoMics
>>simultaneously, recording to computer.
>>
>>Each OctoMic requires 8 channels of pre-amps.
>>
>>They'll need up to 72 channels.
>>
>>Ideally, the pre-amps should have digitally-set and gangable trims.
>
>Have heard good things about the Horus, too, but
>never used it. A nice alternative (possibly a
>bit mor affordable) would be three DirectOut
>Andiamo MC feeding a dual MADI system, or two and a Mictasy.
>
>Btw, nice usage of the word "few" there. Classy.
>A quick calculation tells me you mean "seven or
>so". That's the number of SM58s I use on a good
>day, and I'm very much intrigued if slightly
>scared thinking of your usecase :-D

Well put -- except that 72/8 = 9!

David