Simple Software to Play a 6-channel WAV File (Windows)?
Len Moskowitz
2017-12-24 02:55:00 UTC
I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend a very simple Windows
audio player that can play a 6-channel WAV file to a 6-speaker ring.
Perhaps the "simplest" possible player is a command line one? My
"paplay" program plays (and loops)
multichannel files to a nominated device, and while it does not have
interactive facilities it offers full
channel mapping and selecting. Plus elementary B-Format decoding.
http://www.rwdobson.com/mctools.html
Thank you, Richard. "paplay" works fine and is as simple to use as could
be.

Len Moskowitz (***@core-sound.com)
Core Sound LLC
www.core-sound.com
Home of TetraMic and OctoMic
Axel Drioli
2017-12-24 09:25:29 UTC
Wouldn t you be able to use VLC?
Post by Len Moskowitz
I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend a very simple Windows
audio player that can play a 6-channel WAV file to a 6-speaker ring.
Perhaps the "simplest" possible player is a command line one? My
"paplay" program plays (and loops)
multichannel files to a nominated device, and while it does not have
interactive facilities it offers full
channel mapping and selecting. Plus elementary B-Format decoding.
http://www.rwdobson.com/mctools.html
Thank you, Richard. "paplay" works fine and is as simple to use as could
be.
Core Sound LLC
www.core-sound.com
Home of TetraMic and OctoMic
edit account or options, view archives and so on.
--
*Axel Drioli <http://www.axeldrioli.com/>*

*Immersive Audio Producer for 360 Video, VR and Installations*
- Recordist | Designer | Editor | Mixer -

*Tel-Facetime: +44 7460 223640 <https://mail.google.com/>*
*Skype: axel.drioli*
*Website: *
*axeldrioli.com <http://axeldrioli.com/>*
*E-mail: ***@axeldrioli.com <***@axeldrioli.com>*

*LDN. UK*
Post by Axel Drioli
Wouldn t you be able to use VLC?
The consensus seems to be that the current release of VLC 2.2.8 can't do
it easily, if at all.
If you disagree, would you please provide us with clear instructions how
to do it? We'd love to know!

Post by Jack Reynolds
VLC 3.0 has been available as one of their nightly betas for a while,
but I think it has just been release proper
The VLC Home Page still shows v2.2.8.

Jack Reynolds
2017-12-25 15:56:38 UTC
Ah. Perhaps it’s not out yet.
The betas are available here:
https://nightlies.videolan.org/

They have also announced a collaboration with 3D sound labs, which could be very interesting.
No specific dates at the moment tho

Sent from my iPhone
Post by Len Moskowitz
Post by Jack Reynolds
VLC 3.0 has been available as one of their nightly betas for a while, but I think it has just been release proper
The VLC Home Page still shows v2.2.8.
Core Sound LLC
www.core-sound.com
Home of TetraMic and OctoMic
On a mac, quicktime will play 5.1 and 7.1. could work by configuring
speakers with audio-midi utility.

jim
Post by Axel Drioli
Wouldn t you be able to use VLC?
The consensus seems to be that the current release of VLC 2.2.8 can't do
it easily, if at all.
If you disagree, would you please provide us with clear instructions how
to do it? We'd love to know!
Core Sound LLC
www.core-sound.com
Home of TetraMic and OctoMic
edit account or options, view archives and so on.
--
Jim Moses
Technical Director/Lecturer
--On 24 December 2017 16:37 -0500 Len Moskowitz
Post by Len Moskowitz
The consensus seems to be that the current release of VLC 2.2.8 can't
do it easily, if at all.
VLC plays my quad files to my square array without any special setting
up at all, and this should generalise to any number of speakers that
can be specified to Windows.

I believe that what you need (this is entirely Windows oriented) is:

(1) A sound driver that accepts multichannel input through the Windows
interface, which you then configure in the control panel sound applet
as a 5.1 device (you can test the speakers there, too). At present I
have it configured as a quad device; I could test setting 5.1 for use
with six speakers next week.

(2) This can be the Windows default device (which as you'd expect VLC
uses by default), or if not, you can tell VLC to use the specific
device required - I've done it both ways.

(3) The multichannel file needs to have a speaker mask that will link
the channels to the "5.1" speakers in an appropriate way - you will
need to contrive the speaker connection to match, of course. I use
WaveLab to make the file, which can have its multichannel setup
arranged for various possible masks. Or Richard Dobson's MultiChannel
Toolkit contains programs to set a mask and to reorder channels if that
helps.

(4) VLC will then play the channels to the Windows inputs according to
the mask settings.

It happens that my device (MOTU UltraLite) does not have a proper
multichannel Windows driver, but I have been able to use a third-party
virtual audio cable to get around that.

Paul
Paul Hodges
Paul Hodges
2017-12-28 10:55:54 UTC
PS:

What I describe works for WAV, M4A and OGG files equally well.

I can also link the files on the web, and they play correctly to the
speaker array from my default browser; try it here:

https://cassland.org/sounds/TestQuad/

(If you have told Windows you have a 5.1 setup, for these four-channel
files Windows will use the obvious four speakers, and send the centre
speaker the sum of Lf and Rf.)

Paul
--
Paul Hodges