summary of everything (in the guise of a Sennheiser Ambeo mic critical/comparative review)
David Worrall
2017-04-25 22:00:07 UTC
Hello all,

(I’ve survived moving continents twice since last posting. Now holed up mit Family in Chicago).

I’m about 3-4 years behind on ambsionic research and now I’m introducing it to a largely ignorant cohort here.

My trusty TetraMic is working well, as long as ambient RF is not too bad.

I am interested to see the latest product scrutiny by members of this esteemed group.

I was initially looking for a review of the Sennheiser Ambeo mic but I must admit to being defeated by the seeming lack of a search function in the surround archives.

Is there anywhere/anyone maintaining a searchable version?

Failing that, can someone please point me to a decent critical –even comparative-review of this machine?

I’d also like to read the list’s latest thoughts on current (3rd order etc) mics.

And lastly, (as if that’s not enough) could you all post (or email me) your sites and list what’s special about them?

Sorry to be a pest, but I have to being the evangelizing process here!

Kind regards to you all,

David

---

David Worrall, PhD

Professor and Chair

Audio Arts and Acoustics Department

School of Media Arts

Columbia College Chicago

***@colum.edu

33 E Congress Pkwy Room 601N

Chicago, ILLINOIS, USA 60605

Tel: (1)312.369.8821 Fax: (1)312.369.8427

President, International Community for Auditory Display icad.org

personal research/creative practice website: avatar.com.au

Bosse Sandholm posted some B-format recordings of the Pygme Jazz Band,
recordings made with Core Sound's TetraMic and Sennheiser's Ambeo, in
response to a similar request that I made. Check back to 6 December
2016. The postings then link to files uploaded to Soundcloud.

I must confess to not having listened to them in surround sound; my
'studio' has been configured as stereo-only since mid-November. I must
put it back to surround sound (put back the speakers that were
'borrowed' for another project) and listen to the comparisons properly.

Interestingly, a small /à capella/ group to which I belong hosted some
sound recording students from a local Institute of Technology just
before Easter, to let them try out various surround sound and ambience
recording techniques. They brought along almost 30 microphones,
including a Tetramic and a Zoom H2n (but not an Ambeo). I look forward
to hearing the results of their efforts and hearing how we sound when
recorded using the different techniques.

Gerard
Post by David Worrall
[...]
Thanks Gerard,

I appreciate your info and ref. to the Dec. 2016 posts. We’ll check them out. We’re looking at putting together a 20.4 system similar to the one I developed in the 1990s etc in Australia:

http://www.avatar.com.au/newsite/polymedia/

All the best,

David

The messages sent to sursound can be searched here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/***@music.vt.edu/

--
Marc

here, edit account or options, view archives and so on.
Dave Malham
2017-04-26 05:56:02 UTC
That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks Marc. Note that to avoid
confusion go to 'advanced search' and select sort by date otherwise you'll
get a list as sorted by relevance of some sort not date. Not much good if
you are looking for history. Also, unless I'm mistaken (always possible),
it only seems to go back to 2011.

Dave
--
Post by David Worrall
[...]
As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'

As Bo-Eric commented, the discussion I referred to was on the Facebook group Spatial Audio in VR/AR/MR. I got mixed up, as I keep all my surround emails in the same place.
Gerard

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: David Worrall <***@avatar.com.au> Date: 26/04/2017 07:03 (GMT+00:00) To: ***@iol.ie, Surround Sound discussion group <***@music.vt.edu> Subject: Re: [Sursound] [allowed] summary of everything (in the guise of a Sennheiser Ambeo mic critical/comparative review)
Thanks Gerard,I appreciate your info and ref. to the Dec. 2016 posts. We’ll check them out. We’re looking at putting together a 20.4 system similar to the one I developed in the 1990s etc in Australia:http://www.avatar.com.au/newsite/polymedia/ All the best, David   From: Sursound <sursound-***@music.vt.edu> on behalf of Gerard Lardner <***@iol.ie>
Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 7:00 PM
To: <***@music.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: [Sursound] [allowed] summary of everything (in the guise of a Sennheiser Ambeo mic critical/comparative review) Bosse Sandholm posted some B-format recordings of the Pygme Jazz Band, recordings made with Core Sound's TetraMic and Sennheiser's Ambeo, in response to a similar request that I made. Check back to 6 December 2016. The postings then link to files uploaded to Soundcloud. I must confess to not having listened to them in surround sound; my 'studio' has been configured as stereo-only since mid-November. I must put it back to surround sound (put back the speakers that were 'borrowed' for another project) and listen to the comparisons properly. Interestingly, a small /à capella/ group to which I belong hosted some sound recording students from a local Institute of Technology just before Easter, to let them try out various surround sound and ambience recording techniques. They brought along almost 30 microphones, including a Tetramic and a Zoom H2n (but not an Ambeo). I look forward to hearing the results of their efforts and hearing how we sound when recorded using the different techniques. Gerard  On 25/04/2017 23:00, David Worrall wrote:Hello all,     (I’ve survived moving continents twice since last posting. Now holed up mit Family in Chicago). I’m about 3-4 years behind on ambsionic research and now I’m introducing it to a largely ignorant cohort here.     My trusty TetraMic is working well, as long as ambient RF is not too bad.     I am interested to see the latest product scrutiny by members of this esteemed group.     I was initially looking for a review of the Sennheiser Ambeo mic but I must admit to being defeated by the seeming lack of a search function in the surround archives. Is there anywhere/anyone maintaining a searchable version? Failing that, can someone please point me to a decent critical –even comparative-review of this machine?     I’d also like to read the list’s latest thoughts on current (3rd order etc) mics.     And lastly, (as if that’s not enough) could you all post (or email me) your sites and list what’s special about them?     Sorry to be a pest, but I have to being the evangelizing process here!         Kind regards to you all,     David                     --- David Worrall, PhD Professor and Chair Audio Arts and Acoustics Department School of Media Arts Columbia College Chicago ***@colum.edu 33 E Congress Pkwy Room 601N Chicago, ILLINOIS, USA 60605 Tel: (1)312.369.8821 Fax: (1)312.369.8427 President, International Community for Auditory Display icad.org personal research/creative practice website: avatar.com.au         -------------- next part --------------An HTML attachment was scrubbed...URL: <https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/private/sursound/attachments/20170425/71597f2f/attachment.html>_______________________________________________Sursound mailing ***@music.vt.eduhttps://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/sursound - unsubscribe here, edit account or options, view archives and so on. -------------- next part --------------An HTML attachment was scrubbed...URL: <https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/private/sursound/attachments/20170426/9c17dadf/attachment.html>_______________________________________________Sursound mailing ***@music.vt.eduhttps://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/sursound - unsubscribe here, edit account or options, view archives and so on.
Hi David,
we'll be publishing a study comparing a number of ambisonic mics at AES
Berlin next month. We had an Ambeo, TetraMic, Soundfield MKV, Zoom H2n and
an Eigenmike, and we assessed them using an objective directional study,
and a subjective listening test on low and high frequency timbre.

http://aesberlin17.mapyourshow.com/7_0/sessions/session-details.cfm?scheduleid=48&CFID=12317637&CFTOKEN=9af0c5cec1328578-53E79605-D6D9-4F64-946982050973C724

The full paper should be out soon, but in terms of the Ambeo, we found it
to be very good in terms of directional accuracy, and pretty good in terms
of timbre although rather bright sounding if the optional Ambisonics
Correction Filter in the A-to-B-format Conversion plugin is used.

We didnt find any significant improvement in directional accuracy with that
filter applied, and in my own personal experience, I've found the timbre of
the Ambeo to be far, far better without it.
Enda
--
Dr. Enda Bates
Teaching / Research Fellow

+353 1 896 1434
***@tcd.ie
www.endabates.net <http://www.endabates.net>www.tcd.ie
Dave Malham wrote:
Post by Dave Malham
Also, unless I'm mistaken (always possible),
it only seems to go back to 2011.
The earliest "Ambeo" post is 2016 so, on this
occasion, 2011 is plenty.

I have saved the Sursound Digests in my
Gmail account going back to August 2008
(Volume 1, Issue 1), and possibly earlier.
so it is difficult for me to get back to the
beginning.) Unfortunately, I don't have an
easy way to turn these into a *publicly*
searchable archive.

Regards,
Martin
--